6/13/16

The Infernal Devices - Cassandra Clare


I drafted this post on August 27, 2013.  And by drafted, I mean that I promised that this series would be the next one knocked off my "In All Series-ousness" list.  But, instead, it took me almost THREE YEARS to pick the series up.  Honestly.  2013 Melissa, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?  WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?  I think I read Clockwork Angel before I even started this blog, because Clockwork Prince was in one of my earlier hauls.  I promised to read Clockwork Prince on a ridiculous and embarrassing number of TBR posts, but still this series remained unread.

Then, Lady Midnight somehow ended up in my possession (I swear, it made me buy it at Costco!) and then all of a sudden I was in the mood to read the Infernal Devices because I wanted to catch up with Cassandra Clare's books.  By this point, I had already packed 98% of my books (less the few that I have stashed in my closet that my husband thinks I packed -- mwah ha ha!) so I borrowed them from the library.

Now, I'm a mom.  I work full-time and go to school part-time (just one course online, so I study in the evenings after my son is in bed and on the weekends while he naps).  This doesn't leave a heck of lot of time for reading.  Yet somehow, I managed to gobble up over 1,500 pages of this series in THREE WEEKS.  I couldn't get enough.  Honestly, I got a little less sleep and didn't really study for my final exam, but I just couldn't stop reading this series.

I think I put this series off for so long because of my love/hate relationship with Victorian era titles.  I love the fashion and the epicness of the time period, but I really wrestle with the spinelessness of the heroines.  I mean, I know that women had less rights and freedoms during this time, but I just find it frustrating to read about main characters who are constantly about to faint or who don't ever stand up for themselves.  Two examples are Something Strange & Deadly and The Madman's Daughter, both of which I didn't enjoy all that much.  In a way, I think I'd written off reading Victorian-era fiction because it just wasn't my cup of tea.  But Tessa was the PERFECT Victorian heroine.  Sure, she still wore her corset, but she definitely didn't whine and she wasn't weak.  So, if you're like me and are on the fence about reading this series because of your love/hate relationship with this time period, please give the series a chance.  It's totally worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs