5/2/16

Top Ten Childhood Characters to Revisit as an Adult


Top Ten Tuesday is, as always, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I haven't participated in this meme very much this year due to being busy and feeling uninspired for most of the topics, but today's looks fun!  Here's my list of childhood characters that I'd love to revisit as an adult.

1. Sheila from The Secret of the Unicorn Queen
I stumbled across the first three books in this series at a used bookstore a few years ago, and I'm so scared to re-read them.  I loved, LOVED this series as a pre-teen, and would always bring home any or all of the six book series whenever I spotted one of the books on the library's shelves.  I'm scared that I won't love the series as much as an adult, and I don't want to taint my voracious childhood love of this series and this character.

2. Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield from Sweet Valley
This is another series that completely defined my childhood.  I absolutely LOVED reading Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later when it came out a few years ago, and adored being back in the world and seeing those familiar characters again.  I'd happily read Fifteen Years Later, and Twenty Years Later and...

3. Anne from Anne of Green Gables
4. Emily from Emily of New Moon
I read the first few Anne books when I was young, but never finished the series because Anne "got boring" once she grew up in the later books.  Now that I, myself, am older and probably boring, I would love to revisit the series.  I read the Emily books when I was 18, and loved them so so much, probably even more than the Anne books.  I'm more interested in re-reading and finishing the Anne series, but I'm also interested in re-reading this series as well.

5. Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz
I read and re-read all ten (or more?) books in this series and loved them all (except the Wheelies, which still give me the creeps to this day!)  I'd love to re-read these with an adult eye, and see if they're still as magical and beautiful as they were back then.

6. Bastion in The Neverending Story
I have so much, SO MUCH love for this book, as it came into my life at a time when I was being bullied in school, just like Bastion in the story.  I felt like this book saved me a little, by giving me my own Neverending Story to read, even if I couldn't literally escape into the story, as Bastion did.

7. Hermione from Harry Potter
Although I was technically in my late teens/early 20s when I first picked up this series, I still consider the Harry Potter series to be a key component of how I became who I am.  I had been hoping to re-read this series this year, or at least start doing so, and I'm excited to see if I love it as much as an adult!

8. Laura in The Little House on the Prairie
Like Anne, I'm not sure if I read this entire series as a child, or if I stopped once the girls grew up and therefore became boring.  It would be interesting to revisit this series as an adult, especially when I saw a few beloved bloggers doing just that!

9. The children in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Clearly my inability to finish series comes from honest beginnings, as I'm pretty sure that I didn't read the entire Narnia series either.  Now that I've been getting back into fantasy, it would be interesting to revisit this series, which is loved by so many beloved blogger friends!

10. Sara in A Little Princess
Really, this final spot on the list could go to this book, or The Secret Garden or Little Women.  Although I loved the Sweet Valley books with all my heart, my mother didn't like them and wanted me to read books that were better quality.  We compromised and I read the odd book of her choice, while still devouring the Sweet Valley adventures in between.  I read these classics under duress, and I wonder if I would appreciate them more as an adult when I read them by choice, rather than necessity.

I wish that I could have hundreds of extra hours in order to read all of these books, plus my pile of TBR books!  I'm not a huge re-reader (and I have a post on this coming in a few weeks) so I've never really had a huge urge to pick any of these books up.  How about you?  Do you re-read books from your childhood?  Do you find that your opinions of them change when re-reading, and is this change a good thing?  Part of the reason that I'm terrified to pick these up is that I hold the books in such high regard, and I don't want to taint my experience of reading the books if I don't enjoy them as an adult.  Oh, reader problems, hey?

POST SIGNATURE

3 comments:

  1. I loved this weeks topic, there are so many characters I would love to revisit. You have picked some great ones, although a few of these are from books I still need to read. I would so love to revisit Anne Shirley, and Hermione - two of my favourite character of all time! You can check out my list here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I forget about Bastian? :D

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think that Bastian now works at (maybe even owns) the bookstore where he found THE book.

    My TTT: http://gotmybook.booklikes.com/post/1396944/musings-ttt-2016may03

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs