2/16/16

This is What Giving is All About

I've participated in The Broke and Bookish's Secret Santa for four years, and have met some super cool bloggers through this event!  It's one of my favourite parts of the Christmas season and this year it reinvigorated my enthusiasm for reading and blogging, after one of the most epic reading slumps of my life.  Although I usually share my new books as part of a book haul, this year's Secret Santa deserves a very special blog post shout-out.

On December 15th, I came home from work to find a delivery slip from Canada Post.  Since I live in an apartment building, the mail carrier leaves a slip if I'm not home, and I have to go to the post office to pick up my delivery.  We don't have a parcel drop area in my building and my mail box barely fits the flyers that clog it up most days.  It was a busy week work-wise, and I didn't get the chance to swing by the post office until Saturday afternoon.  When I arrived at the post office, they all of the parcels that were out for delivery on December 15th hadn't made it back to the post office.  One of the mail trucks had been robbed, and 65 parcels, including my Secret Santa gift, were stolen.

I informed Jaime @ The Broke and Bookish of this sad fact, and she put me in touch with my Secret Santa, Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit.  Through a burst of tweets, we exchanged shock and indignation over the experience, and I concluded by hoping that the thief really needed those bookish treats.  April @ Good Books & Good Wine hoped that the thief would learn compassion through the books that he read.  I just shrugged it off as an experience, and relished in the joy of my Secret Santa receiving her gift, and later reading and loving both of the books that I had sent her.  I'm so glad that Trisha @ Trisha Jenn Reads and I have met, and that we've bonded over our shared love of Throne of Glass and the Lunar Chronicles.

BUT THEN I received a message from Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit telling me that she was sending me a replacement package.  I was blown away.  Absolutely blown away.  I never expected her to send another package, and was so touched that she still wanted to send me a parcel!  First, a Christmas card arrived with super cute magnetic bookmarks.  I've never owned or used these kinds of bookmarks before, but I'm excited to give them a shot!


And then, her parcel arrived.  And you guys, this girl is just incredible.  Absolutely incredible.  From the moment I opened the box, I couldn't stop grinning as I unwrapped each of the items inside.

 

Chocolate -- so much chocolate!  And TEA!  Two books that I absolutely cannot wait to get to, especially Taylor Jenkins Reid's Maybe in Another Life.  I absolutely LOVED Forever, Interrupted and After I Do when I read them both last year.  Plus, Tiff said she had THOUGHTS about the ending, and I need to let her know when I finish the book.  I absolutely loved that thoughtful touch.  Not only is she sharing a book with me that she read and loved, but she also wants to chat about it after I'm done reading it.  To top off this amazing package, she even included a little Hot Wheels car for Marko (which I forgot to photograph!).  Her thoughtfulness and caring personality did not go unnoticed.  Seriously, Tiff is one of a kind and a truly kind soul.

With all these warm fuzzies in my heart, I eagerly mailed off my first OTSP Secret Sister parcel and I am SO excited to stalk the blogsphere and wait to see what my secret sister thinks of the package that I put together.  This feeling is what giving is all about, and I absolutely love the joy and heartful happiness that I'm seeing and feeling around the blogosphere this week, which is making me even MORE excited about the Love-a-thon this coming weekend!  Stay tuned for more mushiness in the coming days -- there's love in the air guys!

POST SIGNATURE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs