11/30/15

November Wrap-Up!

Um, how is it almost Christmas?  Seriously.  This year went by crazy fast, and it's hard to believe that we're already into the Christmas season (although I really need to get my butt in gear and start my shopping!) and that it's almost time for all those year-end posts and resolutions and all the fun stuff that happens around the blogosphere in December!

The Books

Books Read: 5 (A Discovery of Witches, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, Night Film, November 9)
I finished A Discovery of Witches, which took me most of October and into November!  Then I re-read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (because I couldn't remember what happened in the story, even after reading the summary on the Recaptains site) and then gobbled up The Evolution of Mara Dyer.  I was going to read the third one right away, but Colleen Hoover's November 9 came in at the library, so I thought I'd take a contemporary break!  I've been slowing working my way through Marisha Pessl's Night Film on audio, which took me close to two months!  It was weird, but good, but really, really weird.  Review to come.

Books Acquired: 9 (yikes! -- book haul to come, so I won't spoil which titles!)
If my counting is correct, I acquired 34 books this year!  I tried to read them as I bought them, but Book Outlet was my downfall in that regard.  I'm not too disappointed with myself though, as I realized that making myself read books as I buy them was also preventing me from reading the backlist titles on my shelves, so I split my focus for the rest of the year, which meant that I did buy a lot more than I read.  But that's okay -- I just have more TBR books to choose from for next year!

The Challenges

Prequel & Sequel Challenge: +2 (The Evolution of Mara Dyer)
Flights of Fantasy: None.
TBR Challenge: +3 (A Discovery of Witches and both Mara Dyer books) 

The Blog

It was a pretty quiet month on the blog, although I'm surprised looking back that I actually wrote eight posts!  I feel like it was a lot less, although I am really proud of the posts that I did share.  My two favourites are part of my yoga-inspired posts, Reading On My Mat, where I shared about giving up on perfection and about joy.  Writing these posts definitely re-invigorated my sense of blogging, as it reminded me that my blog is mine and that I have a lot to share that isn't necessarily book-related.  I truly hope that my words connected with the handful of readers who did click on the post, and I hope that you'll enjoy the future posts too.

I participated in one Top Ten Tuesday post about debut writers (although I struggled with finding a full list), and shared one discussion post about long unread series.

The Other Stuff

We're still working on hiring a new marketing person at work, so I've been helping with the hiring process, which has been awesome!  Ultimately, I'd like to get into more of an HR/Management type role, so it's been great to have this experience under my belt.  I'm looking forward to going back to my old job, and hoping that we find the perfect new employee who will stick around!

I'm in the home stretch for my coursework, with a paper due on Friday and my final exam this coming weekend.  It's going to be a crazy weekend, with my company Christmas party and a really good friend's birthday, so I'll be completing the multiple choice section while Marko naps on Saturday, and then racing to finish the short answer questions before the submission deadline on Sunday evening.  I'm looking forward to a few weeks of non-school reading before I'm back at it in January.

I'm really excited for Christmas this year, since we'll be heading to my hometown to spend Christmas with my family this year.  It'll be Marko's first Christmas in Victoria, and my parents are really looking forward to it.  Plus, this is the first year that I feel like he actually has a concept of what Christmas is.  The whole Santa thing is still a little bit foreign, but he's absolutely enthralled with Christmas lights.  We'll be putting our tree up on December 1st and I just know that he'll be excited to help (unlike last year when he spent most of the month pulling the decorations off the tree!)  Seeing the magic of Christmas through his eyes is really special.

What's happened in your life this past month?  Have you read anything interesting lately?  Are you ready for Christmas?  Or still in shock that it's December already?  Let's chat in the comments below, and thanks for stopping by!

POST SIGNATURE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs