10/24/15

On End-of-the-Year Reading Blahs

Lauren @ Lose Time Reading and I created a fun fall readathon (if you haven't signed up yet, go here -- we have very few entrants, so you have a really good chance of winning!)  Originally, it was a way to motivate ourselves to read more as the holidays approach, but lately I've come to realize why I get these end of the year reading blahs...

At the beginning of the year, it's a fresh start.  New reading challenges, new Goodreads reading goal and an entire 12 months of reading stretched out before me.  Armed with my bookish resolutions, I aim high and just read and read and read.  As the year draws to a close, I find myself getting a bit overwhelmed with everything that I want to read and I know that I don't have enough days left in the year to read it all!  Instead of just reading as much as I can, I find myself not reading at all.

Of course, I'm also back at school this year, which eats up some of my time.  Honestly, after starting at my Organizational Behaviour textbook for an hour, sometimes I just relax and watch some TV or surf the net for a bit before heading to bed to read.  I've been reading one chapter a day for the past couple of weeks, which has resulted in me making my way through A Discovery of Witches, but very slowly.  I'm enjoying the book, don't get me wrong, but I think that part of me thought that I'd gobble up the whole series, plus the Mara Dyer trilogy, plus the rest of the Saga books, and maybe another book or two before the end of the year.  Now I'm looking at the calendar, realizing that November is only a week away, and it seems too daunting to read all of that in two months!  Over the summer, I was reading six to eight books per month, and now I'm looking at a book or two per month.  I think that my reading has definitely slowed down.

Although at times this is frustrating because I do want to read all of the things, I also have to remind myself sometimes that it's quality over quantity.  Yes, I read lots over the summer, but most of the books that I read were contemporaries which generally are faster reads for me.  At the moment, I'm halfway through a historical paranormal book, which is beautifully written and the storyline is intricate, so I can't fly through it the same way I'd fly through a young adult or new adult contemporary.  And that's okay, because sometimes it is nice to slow down and just enjoy a book for what it is.

How about you?  Do you find that your reading changes during the fall and winter months?  Have you signed up to participate in our fall reading challenge?  It runs right until the end of December, so there's lots of time left to participate.  Join us -- I'm hoping to read more than I have so far, but I'm also okay with not reading that much if that's where my reading journey takes me =)

POST SIGNATURE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs