10/13/15

I'm a Bad Reviewer

Although I've posted before about saying no and bookish guilt, I have had this nagging feeling for a while now that I have to share.  I'm a bad reviewer.  Why, you ask?  There are three reasons:

1. I have five unread/unreviewed e-galleys on Edelweiss.
Seriously?  I can hear your eyebrows raising.  I know, I know, five is not that bad.  BUT, one of them I read last year (last November) to be exact, and I haven't reviewed it yet.  I loved it!  It was hilarious and a super cute Christmas-y read, but I forgot to write my review last December, and then it seemed odd to review a Christmas book after Christmas, and then it got to be so long since I read it that I forgot what happened.  The other four books have expired, but I have one of the four on hold at the library.

2. I have three unread/unreviewed e-galleys on Edelweiss.
I know, I know, this isn't even as bad as Edelweiss!  BUT, two of these books are from 2014 and, although I've borrowed them both from the library, I STILL haven't read them.  And I want to, I really do!  But there's just something about reading books with obligations lately that I have been wrestling with...

3. I have four unread/unreviewed finished copies from Random House.
This is where most of my guilt lies.  I am so grateful to have received these beautiful finished copies, and I honestly have read two of the four books, but have yet to write reviews for them.  One of them I read at the end of 2014, the second was in the last month.  I worry that Random House is going to take me off their blogger list because I suck at getting reviews written in a timely fashion.

Part of my problem is that I've pretty much stopped writing formal book reviews, and have been generally just adding a sentence or two of my thoughts in my On My Nightstand posts.  As a result, I'm a little out of practice when it comes to finding the words to share my thoughts!

I have a resolution though.  By the end of 2015, I'm going to work really hard at clearing out my backlog of unreviewed and unread titles.  You'll be seeing a few reviews coming up in the next couple of months, and I'm going to make some decisions on the unread titles, basically deciding if I'm still interested in reviewing these titles.  This way, in 2016, I can either say no to reviewing books altogether, or request and read/review right away, which is how I prefer to tackle my review copies anyways.

Do you struggle with review books?  Do you have any tips for me on how to manage my bookish guilt?  Let's chat in the comments below and, as always, thank you so much for stopping by!

POST SIGNATURE

1 comments:

  1. I used to feel so guilty, but that's when reading slumps begin to set in because reading is no longer fun, but work. I also have quite a few unread egalleys and I've been reading like crazy this year, but I'm like 20 reviews behind (some of those are review books, but most were for pleasure). I don't fret anymore. I read and review the physical copies I request or the ones I personally speak to publishers about, and I don't let that list get too high. It's impossible to keep up with every book that's coming out and publishers understand that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs