1/5/15

On New Year's Reading

I had this odd thought on New Year's Eve.  I was about 100 pages away from the end of my current read, and had this odd urge that I should finish the book before midnight so that I could start the new year with a fresh new read.  I didn't end up finishing the book until later in the afternoon on January 1st, but it made me wonder if anyone else felt this way?  Did you push yourself to finish the final book of 2014 IN 2015, or are you okay with having a book that bridges the old year and the new year?  Or if you finish a book on, say December 30th or 31st, would you start a new book, knowing that you might have to continue reading it in the new year?

I'm honestly not sure if this has ever happened to me before!  Perhaps last year, I just happened to finish my current read prior to December 31st, or maybe I just didn't care, but this year I did.  In the end, I suppose it worked out in my favour, since I'd already completed by Goodreads goal, and now I already have one book read for 2015, even if I technically started it last year =P

POST SIGNATURE

10 comments:

  1. I always have this feeling too, but I finished my first book of 2015 on January 2nd. I also happened to start that book in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this! Sometimes even just month to month, but not always. I actually did finish my last book on December 30th, so I read a novella that I had gotten on December 31st, just to round out the year and not have a book to carry over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I DO THIS TOO!!! My first 2015 read was a book I started in 2014... HAHA. But it's no problem really, at least I'm already ahead one book in my challenge.

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have EVER started the New Year with a new book - I just keep reading whatever book I happen to be reading at the time! I'm usually pretty bad at waiting between books, though. Unless I finish one very late, I normally start my next book right after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to finish Rebecca by midnight too but I was tired and had an early night so it ended up carrying on over into the new year and I guess I'm okay with that. I wouldn't start a new book on NYE though if I'd finished one. I had a break from reading over Xmas so after I finished a book around the 21st I didn't start a new one because I wouldn't have liked to have had to rush it or leave it hanging over the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Melissa, this is the story of my life. I'm always thinking about this actually. This year I was convinced I needed to finish Dear Daughter before midnight so I could add it to my 2014 reads, well why the hell does that make sense? So I didn't haha... and it was my first read of 2015. And I am actually glad I did it because now I'm a book a head, probably because of it! It fascinates me sometimes the things we all think about haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading Heir of Fire at the end of 2014, and I really wanted to finish it in 2014 - it's a big book, and using it towards my Goodreads challenge in 2015 kind-of felt like cheating as I read 3/4 of it in 2014. It ended up being carried over anyways... LOL R x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually started a new book on December 31 in the evening. I never really thought of waiting for the new year, I wanted to read so I started a new book. I guess it would be fun to start a new book on 1 January.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried doing that this year just as a personal challenge, but I didn't make it. I was about 50 pages away. This didn't bother me because I'm always carrying books over into the New Year. I did make sure to finish the book before going to bed though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did that, too! I was desperately trying to finish Young Elites (and I did!) before midnight so I could start fresh :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs