12/6/14

On Forcing Myself to Read

I have written on here (more times than I care to admit) that Requiem will be the ONE book that I MUST finish reading this year.  I've set a goal for myself to finish this series so many times, and each time I just never quite get around to picking it up.

I requested an ARC of Burn by Julianna Baggott earlier this year, but only had a very short period of time in which to read it so it sits unreviewed on my Netgalley account.  I've borrowed the hard copy twice from the library, renewed it three times over (once even incurring fines), but have I read it?  Nope.

I want to finish both of these series so badly, but I just can't bring myself to pick up either book.  They've both been sitting on my nightstand, on and off, all freakin' year.  Yet they remain on my tbr-series-to-finish shelf on Goodreads.

Why, you ask?  Because I just can't force myself to read anything anymore.

I've had a mood reading post in a draft format for a while now, but I've been having trouble explaining my reading moods.  The truth of the matter is that I've been enjoying books more when I choose what I'm in the mood for, rather than focusing on what I've promised myself that I will read.  The past few books that I've read have been absolutely fantastic reads, and I feel like this is really working for me.  Of course, it presents a bit of a challenge with review books, but it has given me pause to think over my reading habits.

I've never been one to read off a strict schedule, and have been handling my review book schedule really well of late.  I generally choose what I want to read when I want to read it, and I want to continue to do so.  Unfortunately, this means that Requiem and Burn are just going to hang out unread for a little while longer, waiting until my heart feels that it's time to knock these two series off my TBR.  Hopefully soon, but we shall see!

Do you guys have roadblocks like this when it comes to certain books?  How do you handle it?  Leave me a comment below -- I hope that I'm not the only one!

POST SIGNATURE

4 comments:

  1. You are not alone! t has happened to me that I can't continue with a book but it is so hard to not finish them! If it is an assignment or a galley I will do my best to finish, in the later case,telling myself that someone put all the effort in writing it and I should at least give my best to trying. But if it is a book I took all by myself, not strings attached and it just doesn't do it for me, I've started to put them down. Life is too short to make you finish a book that just won't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely aren't alone! I've read a laughable amount of books this year, but I reread the HP series. That's something I've wanted to do for years! But now I feel excited about books and reading again for the first time since Finn was born. Reading what you want, when you want makes for a happier reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! I've got several from both NG and EW that I've had for over a year, and I just can't bring myself to read them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happens to me ALL the time. I have so many I "must" read, but I can't bring myself to do it. Sometimes, the hype monster scares me. Sometimes bad reviews make me wonder if reading it is worthwhile. The biggest thing, though? I am a total mood reader :(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs