10/6/14

On Reading Multiple Books

I've had this post sitting in draft form for MONTHS (but just a heading, no content) because I knew that I wanted to share a post at some time.  But then Debby @ Snuggly Oranges wrote this amazing post on the topic, and I thought "What the heck, let's throw my two cents into the mix!"

I used to a be a strict one-book-at-a-time kind of girl.  It's not that I was opposed to the idea of reading multiple books at a time, but the idea had just never occurred to me.  I'd get lost in the world of a book, then move onto something new once I'd finished that story.  But then blogging happened, and I think that this drastically shifted the way I read.

It started out quite innocently.  I was approved for a book on Netgalley, and read it on my iPad.  Then, my sister-in-law bought me a Kobo Touch, and I started reading my e-galleys on my Kobo.  Some e-galleys downloaded in PDF, which were awkward to read on the Kobo, so I'd read those on the iPad.  Then, I went back to work and threw an audiobook into the mix.  I started listening to Game of Thrones on the drive, but reading the print version at home or when I got to work if there was just a page or two left until the end of the chapter.  And then I tossed a library book on top of the pile.

At one point, I'm not even kidding, I was reading two e-galleys (one on the Kobo, one on the iPad), an audiobook AND a print book.  And it got to be way, way too much.  It's not that I was getting confused between books, especially since I was choosing to read completely different things at the same time.  I did start to notice some bizarre overlaps, like the same character name in two different books, or that there were wolves in two books, or two characters described as wearing a similar scarf.  I started to tire of this multiple book reading because it felt like I was trying to get through as many books as possible in a short period of time, and I didn't like what it was doing to my reading spirit.

I posted last week about being more selective about my ARCs, and this has nearly eliminated my e-book reading.  Currently, I'm reading an e-book that I paid for (my first ever!) and I'm loving it.  I also still have an audiobook on the go for my drives to and from work (I spent about two hours in the car and the radio can become tiresome), so I haven't completely given up on the idea of multiple books at once.  BUT, I don't have a print book thrown into the mix.  After I'm finished with this e-book, I will likely jump straight into The Throne of Glass because The Assassin's Blade is freakin' AMAZING, but then I think I'll set aside my e-reader for a bit...and I think I'm okay with that.  Over the past week, I've really enjoyed just slowing down with my reading and savouring the words, rather than rushing to go from one book to the next.

How about you?  Do you read multiple books at a time?  Why or why not?  How do you handle it if you do?  Leave me a comment below -- I'm really interested to see what you think about this topic! 

POST SIGNATURE

9 comments:

  1. I always read several books at the same time. That works the best for me :) I am a mood reader, so most of the times I read books in different genres and that way I can pick up what I want to read that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Mel! I hadn't thought about the fact that I do read books in different genres at the same time, and that it offers the bonus of being able to read what I want when I want! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I often read more than one book at a time. Usually, though, one book is an audiobook, and one is a print copy. That works really well for me, and I really enjoy it. I also get to read a lot more books, which is good because there are so many I want to read. There have been times when I've been reading four books at once, but that's a rare occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a solid audio and print simultaneous reader, and I agree that it definitely speeds up the amount of reading that I can do, especially when fitting it into times when I can't read a physical book.

      Delete
  3. I've just done a post on this recently too, but it's embargoed lol I did it for the Oh, The Books! guest post scheduled for November, I think! It seems to be a popular topic among bloggers, I'm assuming because most of us pre-blogging were book monogamous, and since blogging and review copies came on the scene we try to read more by multi-reading. Personally, for me it never works. I've tried, but I get so sucked into one of the books that you can't prise it from my death-grip until I'm done, and all other books I've started, no matter how good, go on hold and I come back to them later, sometimes way later! I still haven't managed to tackle an audiobook (my commute is 10-15 minutes, so I don't fit it in then). I just finished Throne of Glass and LOVED it, but I'm going to read the bind-up of the novellas before continuing the series. R x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'm about halfway through the Throne of Glass novellas and am LOVING them so far! I can't wait to read Throne of Glass next =) I can't wait to read your post next month! I agree that it's a popular topic amongst bloggers, and definitely something that I would have never thought of doing pre-blogging.

      Delete
  4. Blogging drastically changed the way I read as well! I'm always reading at least two books at a time, if not more. I flucuate between being a mood reader and a disciplined reader so I like having an ARC and at least a me read going at the same time. I love my kindle because it's so compact and lovely, but I love reading paper books and I really miss it so I'm trying to make sure I read one of those at the same time as well haha. I'm all over the place :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ONLY way I can read two books at the same time is if they're different formats. i.e. I'll have a paper book I'm reading but I'll read an ebook because I don't always have my paper book with me. Or I'll have an audiobook going while I have a paper book or ebook going. The only way I'll open a second paper/ebook if I already have one going is if I can't get into it and decide to put it down for a while...so technically it's not at the same time anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  6. More often than not I'm in the middle of at least 3 books - one ebook that I read while standing on the train platform waiting, or on the bus (as I find these 2 places a little awkward to read a physical book), another that lives in my handbag that I read on the train, and another on my bedside table to read before bed.
    They are usually all different genres, or at least very different books, otherwise I get confused. For example, I'm currently reading Great Expectations on my kobo app (phone), The Twelve on the train, and Murder and Mendelsohn before bed.
    The exception is if I get soooo totally entrenched in a book that I need to read it all quickly and it will go from handbag to bed with me!
    I completely agree with you, if there are similarities between books it doesn't work so well for me - 2 characters with the same name in different books? No way that's working for me. 2 vampire books? Nup. Gotta be completely different stories!

    Chels

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs