10/2/14

Life of a Blogger - Prized Possession


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat runs this awesome feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

A few months ago, one of the Life of a Blogger topics was 101 favourite things and, even though I had decided to narrow it down to a top ten list, I still had a hard time coming up with THINGS that were my favourites.  Of course, if I were to include people, or places, or moments, 101 things would have been a snap, but I was trying to think of material things.  And, you know, I'm not too materialistic, but I still would have thought that I could have picked ten things around my house that I cherish.  Yet, I missed the posting deadline because I only had three items on my list!

Now today's topic my prized possession.  This is even harder, Jessi, since I had trouble coming up with ten!  But I'm going to go with something big, because this has been on my mind a lot lately.  In 2008, my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I decided to purchase our first home.  The real estate market is RIDICULOUS in Vancouver, and prices were shooting through the roof.  Since we were poised to host the Winter Olympics in 2010, rumours were flying that our prices would go even higher once the world could see how beautiful Vancouver is.  So we decided to purchase a two-bedroom, one-bathroom, 900 square foot condo.  A starter home, hoping that we could easily sell in five years (or less), make some money and move into a larger home for the family that we hoped to have.

Well, here we are six and a half years later, and we're still in the same condo.  If we were to sell today, we'd likely sell for a lot less than what we paid for it.  We might be able to walk away with our down payment, but we'd likely lose the equity that we've paid into it.  At times, this has been frustrating because our plan had been to live here for a shorter period of time, and then upgrade.  Yet I also have to remind myself that we are extremely fortunate to even be able to own our own home and to have a roof over our heads.  Although our condo isn't huge, we have enough space so that Marko has his own room (even if he shares it with my husband's chess library).  So, even though we have our moments of regret that we jumped into a housing market that subsequently crashed, I do know that our home is our most prized possession and one that we are most fortunate to have.

What about you?  What's your most prized possession?  Leave me a comment below!

3 comments:

  1. This was such a wonderful story! I really enjoy smaller homes/spaces, and I think that stems from where I grew up. My mom and I lived in a very small house on a large property, which was a bit strange when I think about it now. The backyard was amazing and I can't even begin to explain how spacious and beautiful it was. The house sat on top of a hill, and then the backyard was behind it and a stream separated us from other backyards/homes. (This was in Maryland.) Our driveway led up to the road, so even our house was built into a hill. I wish I could describe it better, but I just remember loving how the house was perfect for my mom and me (my dad was out west at the time). I really miss the house. Now it might be too small for our 3-person family plus 2 dogs, but I do miss it, and Maryland. I've never been opposed to a small house, especially if I'm living on my own. I would much rather live somewhere small with a beautiful backyard and in a beautiful state!

    I suppose my most prized possession(s) would be my books. Whenever I think about losing them in a fire or leaving them behind when I go to college I become really sad. There are so many beautiful stories by some of my absolute favorite authors, and I would hate to lose them. Another possession that I would hate to lose is my childhood stuffed elephant. I've had him since I was a toddler and I couldn't bear to lose him, even though it's been over a decade since I carried him with me everywhere. I suppose it's just one of those childhood things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa, I hear ya on the insane housing market out there!! Sucks about your place depreciating in value - I didn't even think that was possible in the Vancouver area! Glad that you are happy in your home though :) and you're right, we should feel fortunate that we even own homes and have roofs over our heads :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, it's okay! It WAS a hard question ;p But I feel ya! Come to think of it, our house should be my most prized possession, too...it is the most expensive thing I own, after all. I didn't even think of that! Then my car...that should be one too! I actually didn't think of that, either. I would be reeeaaally upset if anything happened to it!

    It's a shame the housing market is so rough in Vancouver. But you have something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs