9/2/14

On Feeling Out of the Loop

Over the past couple of months, I've been feeling a bit out of the loop.  I'm not on Twitter very much, and haven't been chatting and networking with other bloggers as much as I used to.  Although I am still loving blogging and sharing my thoughts on here, I'm not taking that extra time to promote my blog, interact as much as I used to and just generally be more present in the world.

Sometimes, it makes me a little sad when I do pop onto Twitter and I feel like, if I'd been on earlier in the day, I could have participated in some of the fun conversations going on and it feels weird to comment on someone's tweet hours later.  Or I see all these great collaborations that other bloggers are doing, and I wish that I had the time to devote to really putting myself out there and making my blog all that it can be.

Sometimes I also feel glad that my blog has stayed as small as it is, and that I've had these past couple of months to retreat a little from the online community.  I see on other blogs or on Twitter that there's drama that's happened, but I've been so removed from social media that I hadn't heard and sometimes I never even found out what did happen.  Although it would be fun to have thousands of followers and be one of those big, super cool blogs that I follow and read on a regular basis, I'm still proud of the following that I do have -- and I love each and every one of you that reads the words that I share and takes the time to say hello in the comments.

One of the things that's really jumped out at me in the past couple of weeks, is the fact that I haven't added very many books to my TBR list this year.  In fact, I checked Goodreads and I added SIX.  SIX BOOKS all year so far.  Of course, that's not to say that I didn't read some books that weren't even on my TBR list.  (Have you ever done that?  Went to add a book to your "currently reading" shelf, only to realize it wasn't on your TBR list yet? I've done that quite a few times).  I digress.  But SIX BOOKS.  That's it.  I'm still keeping up with my Bloglovin' subscriptions but, to be perfectly honest, I don't read many book reviews anymore.  Sometimes I'll glance over the review, or just look at the rating but I prefer to read discussion posts or other fun, creative posts.  Usually, I can tell which books are super-hyped by bloggers that I trust, and I did pick up Open Road Summer and Shadow of Bone this summer specifically because of book hype.  So, I'm not immune to the bookish hype out there, but I just feel like I've been devoting less energy towards researching future books to read and more energy on actually reading books.  This summer I've read a TON, including some chunky reads and large chunks of series!  I read the first two books in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, am about to tackle Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and have gobbled up the first six books in J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

I didn't intend for this post to be so long, but thanks for reading!  How about you?  Do you feel like taking a step back from social media and the community as a whole is a good idea or not?  Any ideas for me on how to jump back into the scene?  I feel a little shy since I've been away for so long.  Leave me a comment below -- and thanks for stopping by!

POST SIGNATURE

4 comments:

  1. Hey there :) I've been going through a similar thing with blogging this year. I posted like 3 times between January and last Sunday. I was really busy writing my MA thesis and then I traveled. I felt so out of the loop, I had no idea what was going on, what books were coming out, what the bloggers I'd followed more closely were doing. I was apprehensive to really start blogging again, but even after just a few days I'm glad that I made myself do it.

    I agree with the drama-free perk of being a small blog. I'm also glad that I've never been involved in anything major or had reviews plagiarized (to my knowledge).
    Sometimes I also think I should interact more and that I'm missing opportunities by not being social enough :/ I'm rarely on twitter anymore because it was just eating so much of my time. But then I take a peek and I remember how much I loved being on there, tweeting with authors and other people interested in the same things I love.

    As for getting back into the loop, I guess we'll just have to read more posts and try to catch up. But I also think you shouldn't feel like you have to push yourself to be super social if you just don't feel up to it or don't have the energy. I think many bloggers put way too much pressure on themselves, and it takes the fun out of it.

    P.S.: I also love the discussion posts! Probably one of my favorite things about blogging.

    Anyway, that's my two cents. I was kind of relieved to see that I'm not the only one feeling out of touch with things :)

    Carmen @ Shelfspace Needed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel out of the loop too. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, and sometimes I wish I were on twitter earlier so I could have participated. But I'm not really able to get on twitter at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. Everything about this post. (Minus the whole still reading and blogging part but shhh.) I'm kinda okay with being out of the loop though. It's nice to not get dragged into the latest drama or scandal in the book blogging world and just concentrate on finally settling down with a book/writing reviews/catching up with Bloglovin. I'm totally going to start the Black Dagger Brotherhood series soon so I'll be able to talk to you about those soon! I've barely added any books to my TBR pile this year, I haven't really got a clue what new releases are coming out soon anymore, but I'm okay with that. I need to concentrate on the books I do already own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister! I used to love Twitter, but I can't keep up with it anymore. When I do get on, I will respond to tweets hours later if I have something to say, but for the most part, I am no longer part of any big discussions on there. Sometimes I feel like keeping up with reading blogs, twitter, instagram is a full time job in itself, and then that doesn't leave me anytime to work on my own blog or read! I'm finding it very challenging to keep up with it all to maintain an online presence while being a mom. I really don't know how other moms do it?!

    And I agree, sometimes I think it would awesome to be really popular and have tons of readership, but then I would also have to work harder on publishing posts more frequently. Maybe when the time is right….until then, I've culled my blog reader to only those blogs I'm really interested in reading and not reading just out of guilt, etc. And to be completely honest, I've stopped reading book review posts a long time ago…unless it's a book I'm passionate about or happens to pique my interest :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs