5/27/14

Top Ten Bookish Confessions


Happy Tuesday!  It's been a long time since I've participated in Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) and, since today is choose your own topic, I thought it might be a good time to jump back in!  I saw this topic done a long, long time ago and I thought it looked like fun, so here goes!

1. I can't mark up my books (dog-ear, highlighter, etc.) but I'm also not super concerned if my books aren't pristine.  For example, I haul my books around in my purse, so they often end up a little banged-up by the time that I finish reading them, but that doesn't bother me.  But you will NEVER find me dog-earing a page or writing in my books.  Nuh-uh, no way.

2. It bothers me when my series don't match, but I'm too cheap to actually DO anything about it.  For example, I have the original cover of Delirium (the teal one), so it doesn't match the next two books in the series.  I've contemplated giving the first book to my sister-in-law, but I just can't justify buying myself a second copy of a book that I already own.  I'd rather buy a different book -- so the series sits on my shelves, where it honestly does bug me a little, yet I know I'll never do anything about it.

3. Further to the confession above, the only series that I actually WILL fix one day is my Harry Potter books.  I have the first two in soft cover (the children's editions), books three to five in softcover (the adult mass market covers) and the last two in hardcover (the children's editions).  This is the one series of which I would like to have a perfectly matching set on my shelves!

4. I wish my husband culled his books.  He's terrible for going into a used bookstore and asking the staff for recommendations.  He'll often buy books that have come highly recommended, but then he later decides the book's just not for him but he won't get rid of it!  He's even read some books that he just loathed, yet they still sit on our shelves!

5. I worry that Marko won't be an avid reader.  He's only 15 months and loves sitting and flipping through his books but, in our technology-saavy era, I worry that the lure of technology will overwhelm his generation and reading may not be on the forefront of his list of hobbies as he grows up.  Silly, I know, but I just really, really hope that he grows to love reading as much as I do.

6. I carry a book EVERYWHERE with me.  Seriously, my husband laughs at this one, but I can't count how many times that we ended up stuck waiting somewhere and I pulled out my book to read a couple of pages while we wait!  I even joked at work that I'd be fine if the elevator broke down (which, apparently, had happened to one of my co-workers) because I always have a book with me.

7. When my husband and I first me, he was having a hard time finding a teaching job in the area where we live.  We heard that teachers were being recruited to move up north (WAY up north) and were being paid quite well to do so.  We briefly toyed with the idea (I was totally on board, him not so much) since I loved the idea of living in a little log cabin with nothing to do but read because we were snowed in!  Alas, he did end up finding work and taking that idea off the table, but I still dream of considering it one day.

8. I wrote a book.  I finished it a few years ago, and even sent it into a few publishers!  I received some form letters, and one really nice rejection letter.  I haven't touched it in years, but do hope to revisit it one of these days and see if I could turn it into something big.

9. I recently made the decision to take my blog roll down.  Although I tried to keep it up to date with blog and bloggers that I read and love, I found that not all of my favourite blogs have buttons and simply having a list of my favourite blogs was hard to keep updated.  I often wonder how regularly other blogs keep these updated?

10. I have developed a habit of reading multiple books at once.  At the moment, I'm reading one on my Kobo, one on my iPad (both e-galleys), listening to Game of Thrones as well as reading the paper copy (I flip back and forth) and then another hard copy book (just to break up the daunting task of reading GoT.  I seriously marvel sometimes at how I manage to keep so many storylines straight in my head!

What about you?  What are your bookish confessions?  Leave me a comment below!

4 comments:

  1. I agree and sympathise with sooo many of your points. 1 and 2 I completely agree with, yet ironically I don't mind that my HP covers are different - all the other series I have that don't match annoy me except that one. I think it's because they have so much sentimental value for me that I don't even care. Although I would like to buy a second set of full paperbacks to read, I don't like rereading the originals too often as they are starting to get tooo worn. I can sometimes be bad with point 4 - I do eventually cull them, but it takes me a while to finally part with books, what if I change my mind and want to read it someday?? Plus as I grew up I got rid of all my Meg Cabot and most of my Jacqueline Wilson books because I was "too old for them" and mum thought they took up too much space. I MASSIVELY regret this now. I don't have any kids, but I think I already worry about this because I've seen my 9 year old nephew and 4 year old niece do things with an iPad I can't do, and I'm 24... I cheat by buying my nephew books related to his playstation games, so he's reading without realising he's doing it. I doubt it will stick. He doesn't come across like a "reader". I don't normally carry books with me, sometimes I take notions, but I always have my phone and I have two or three eReader apps, so I'm never stuck, in fact I wish I could get stuck somewhere with nothing to do more often. I'd love to have more time to read. I do still have my blogroll, and I should update it... I tend to follow a lot of blogs on Bloglovin but keep a blogroll of blogs I really connect with. I feel bad taking someone off it if their content isn't 10/10 for me anymore... I tried doing multiple books at once, I can't.

    Apologies for the length of this comment! Apparently I had a lot to say!

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/top-ten-tuesday-remembering-alfie/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice list! I too am choosy about how I mark up a book - and I used to be absolutely mental about keeping them pristine, but these days I find I can lend a book without a qualm, and only quake a little bit when it comes back slightly worse for wear.

    Oooo, you've written a book! Congratulations and good luck, all rolled into one wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic. I can't dog ear my books either but as I get older I seem to care more and more that I keep them in pristine condition. I really hate it if my books don't match. Until last week I never culled my books either, even if I realised it was one I'd never read or one I hated. But I have started to now and recently took two boxes filled with books to my nans. Good luck with the book you wrote! :) Here's my post, I decided to go with my favourite mind-blowing book endings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That' hilarious about your husband not culling his books - my hubby is the same! Only difference is, mine isn't even a reader! But he loves to buy books and thinks he should keep each one no matter what because I keep most of mine.

    I worry that Sully won't love reading as much as I do either. But I'm going to make it my mission in life to do everything I can about it! A photographer blogger I follow as two children that adore reading. Her 5 year old reads books to herself. She told me she just doesn't let her kids use electronic devices to kill time in airports, car rides, etc. Which also means, they don't have tablets (the parents). It's a lot of work, but she's my inspiration that it can be done!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs