Here's my definition of bookish guilt:
- We feel badly about buying so many books that sit on our shelves unread. We put ourselves on book buying bans because we need to read the books we own. Although I've never put myself on a book buying ban, I have frequently lamented the fact that I need to stop borrowing from the library and focus on the books that I own.
- We feel badly about the size of our TBR piles (whether physical or the list on Goodreads) and lament our inability to read all of the books. I'm especially guilty of this when it comes to series -- the guilt is overwhelming at times because I just want to read ALL OF THE SERIES.
- We feel badly for not posting enough on our blogs, responding to comments, being active enough on Twitter. This is one that I struggle with A LOT. I feel like my blog stays small and less-known because I'm not as active in the blogging community as others.
- We feel guilty about not reading all our ARCs in a timely fashion, or by publication date. This is also a tough one for me, especially when it comes to DNFing an ARC or taking on more books that I can review.
So, here's my resolution to end bookish guilt. I hereby resolve to:
- Read and enjoy each and every book to the fullest.
- Not feel guilty for buying books, even if they sit on my shelves for a while. As my husband so eloquently explained a little while ago, at least I'm not spending my hard-earned money on drugs, alcohol or gambling -- it could be a LOT worse! Plus, it is nice to look at my shelves and dream about all the hours of enjoyment and fantastic stories that await me.
- Stop stressing about finishing ARCs and just enjoy the fact that I have been given the opportunity to read and review a book before prior to the general public having access to this book.
- Stop worrying about whether people will care or read my blog if I'm not super active on Twitter or in the blogging community. At the end of the day, I blog for myself and if one person reads my blog (yes YOU! I'm so happy you're here!), then that's just an added bonus!