5/4/14

A Backwards Book Haul -- What I'm NOT Reading

A few months back, I shared a discussion post about saying no to review copies and realizing that, just because I've been given the privilege of reading and reviewing a book prior to its release date, I'm not obligated to finish a book that I'm not enjoying.  While that was liberating for me at the time, I've also discovered that I have another problem: I lose interest in a review copy once it's sat on my e-reader for a while.  Here's how this works:

I receive the approval e-mail from Edelweiss or Netgalley, do a happy dance and eagerly download the e-galley.  Then, I make a note of the release date in my blogging calendar.  I've been reading my e-galleys in order of release date, so sometimes it'll be three or four months by the time I actually get around to reading the book.  When it's time for that particular book to reach the top of my TBR pile, I'll open the e-galley, read a few pages and find myself getting bored and it takes me a lot longer to get through the book.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I suppose the same thing happens with books that I buy, but sit on my shelf untouched.  There's something shiny and exciting about a brand-new book but, once it's sat on the shelf for a while, it loses its luster and lure.

SO, here's what I'm trying to do.  At the moment, I'm working on getting entirely caught up with my review books.  Like reading EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.  And, in the meantime, I haven't downloaded ANYTHING.  I'm showing serious restraint y'all.  I have two June releases and one July release left, after which time I will go back to Netgalley and Edelweiss and see if there's anything new and interesting available.  Once I download a book, I'm going to read it right away, regardless of release date!  I'm hoping that this will result in some e-galley excitement for me because I'm reading a book that I'm excited to read.

Next challenge for me will be to do just that with the books I buy.  Ha ha ha -- I can dream, can't I?

My question for you is this: since I have no fall releases on the horizon just yet, is there anything out there that I should jump into once I'm all caught up?  Have you downloaded any fall releases that you're dying to read?  I feel a little out of the loop right now, but I think this new plan of mine is really going to work well. 

1 comments:

  1. This is real problem for me as well. The minute I see a book that interests me I'm all over it and then I become overwhelmed by the amount of books I have to review and when I finally read them I'm just like ughh do I have to? I'm trying to work my way through my review lists to. I think I'll take a major break after that and limit my review requests substantially. Cool post!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs