3/10/14

On DNF Reviews

I DNFed a book a couple of weeks ago, and have been thinking about whether or not to share a review on the blog.  I wrote a short paragrah on Goodreads, explaining my reasoning behind DNFing the book, and sent this paragraph to the publisher, since it was an e-galley, but I haven't decided if I should post a review here on the blog.

Personally, I really like reading DNF reviews.  I know one of my favourite bloggers, Jessi @ Novel Heartbeat, has a monthly feature entitled Books I Didn't Finish.  I love reading these posts because Jessi is so honest and sincere in her explanation of why she didn't like a particular book, and chose to not finish it.  Also, honestly, reviews for books that I didn't like are often easier to write than reviews for books that I enjoyed.

For some unknown reason, I have not yet posted a DNF review on the blog.  I have written some on Goodreads, from a few phrases explaining why I couldn't finish the book, to the longer rant that I shared on Julie Cross' Tempest.

The book in question is Amanda Maciel's Tease, which is being published next month.  I read just over half of my e-galley, and then I just couldn't read any further.  I found the main character to have absolutely no remorse and I just couldn't identify with her.  I could probably write a fairly long (and possibly ranty) review; however, I just keep hesitating on whether or not I want to do this.  And I don't know why!

On the one hand, I definitely don't want my blog to be filled with only positive, glowing reviews, because I don't feel that that's helpful.  Personally, I trust a reviewer more who doesn't fall head over heels with every books she reads, because then I know that the reviews are genuine.  My reviews generally fall in the 3 to 5 star range (although I don't post ratings, this is just based on my Goodreads ratings), and I think that's mainly because I usually won't finish a book that would be rated lower than 3 (although I have plowed through the odd two-star book).  This makes me wonder if I should share some thoughts on books that I really didn't like, just to balance out the spectrum?  I really respect those bloggers who share their thoughts on books, regardless of how they felt at the end, because it really provides balance and perspective on books.  For example, Allegiant was quite controversial around the blogosphere and, after I'd finished reading it, I enjoyed seeing people's very differing opinions on the book.

What are your thoughts on DNF reviews?  Do you like reading them?  Do you think I should take the plunge and share my thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I like DNF reviews. I've never written one, I finish all of my books, but I do think they're helpful. I read them to see if the problems that the reader had are something that would bother me. If yes, I take the book off my to-read. If not, then at least I'm prepared. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never written a review for a book I didn't finish, but I don't think there is anything wrong with that, as long as it's clear that you didn't finish the book.

    I totally agree that I like the book blogs I follow to not be all glowing reviews. Knowing what someone didn't like is helpful when I'm reading their reviews for books they did like so I have an idea if our reading tastes are similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like DNF reviews as well. I do them myself, because I like to share the reasons why I stopped reading. Usually it's because a book is boring. I do follow a lot of blogs with a wide range of ratings, as I find them very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks for the mention!! I personally like to share ALL my feelings of whatever books I read, good and bad. Yes, I have a lot of ranty reviews on my blog...but you know when you read a 5 star review that I truly loved the book! I think you should totally go for it! To me it makes the reviewer have more credibility if they're honest about both the good and the bad. Plus, I love rants and would love to read yours ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs