2/18/14

Lovely, Dark and Deep - Amy McNamara

I read this book back in December, and have been uncertain about whether or not I should share a review on the blog.  It's such a beautiful book that is still resonating with me now and I'm not sure that I can find the words to write a review; however, I think it's such an under-the-radar book that I wanted to share a few thoughts, just in case it prompts someone out there in the blogosphere to give this book a chance.

What immediately drew me to this book was its beautiful cover.  The picture online doesn't do the book justice, since it's so much more beautiful in person.  When I read the author's bio and saw that she has an MFA in poetry, I knew that I would love the book.  And I did.

Here's the blurb from the inside of the dust jacket:

I came here because it's pine-dark and the ocean's wild.  The kind of quiet-noise you need when there's too much going on in your head.  Like the water and the woods are doing the feeling, and I can hang out, quiet as a headstone, in a between place, a place that could swallow me if I need it to.

Gives you goosebumps, hey?  Without giving away too much of the storyline, our narrator has just suffered through the death of her boyfriend and, after a period of extended silence, has decided to live with her dad for a while so that she can grieve.  What unfolds is a story so simple, yet beautiful and absolutely heartfelt.  I have so much love for this book.  I'm gifting my copy to my younger sister for her birthday because I have a feeling that the story will touch her heart too, but in a different and perhaps even more profound way than how it touched mine.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard wonderful things about this book. I haven't read it, but I definitely want to. I agree, the cover is gorgeous. It's eye-catching in a subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is absolutely beautiful! I have not heard of this one before, but from what you said and shared it is a book that will be worth the read. It sounds very powerful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this book last year & I still haven't read it. I WANT TO. I saw Amy at a reading and she was great. Have you seen the paperback? I honestly want to trade in my HB for the new paperback. Okay. I am trying to take off from review books in March and read stuff from my apt so I will get to this! Thanks for featuring it. I never felt like it got enough attention.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs