1/30/14

Life of a Blogger - Genres of Music


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat has just started this awesome new feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

Today's topic is genres of music.  This is another tough one because, although I adore music, I find it hard to describe exactly what genres of music I like.  So here goes...

  • Grrrly angst music: One of my friends once described my favourite music as that "female angst thang."  I have to say that I love a female artist that gets ANGRY with her music and her lyrics and isn't afraid to be her true self.  Some of my favourite artists in this group are: Alanis Morissette, Holly McNarland, Christina Aguilera, Florence + the Machine, Fiona Apple and Auf der Maur.
  • Anything with violins: I absolutely adore violin music.  While I definitely enjoy classical violin, I also have a fondness for gypsy violin music.  And if violins are featured in rock music (like Creed), I'm SOLD.
  • Really chill music: I have music on in the house ALL DAY.  I have a "chill mix" that is most often on shuffle (unless I have a hankering for a particular artist).  Some of the highlights on this mix are Damien Rice, David Usher and Sade.
  • Good rock music:  I love U2, Kings of Leon and City and Colour.  Good rock music for me inspires an open sunroof and highway driving with the music pouring out of the speakers.
  • Music from my teens:  Although I love discovering new artists, my all-time favourites will always be those songs from my teenage years, the ones that tug at my heartstrings.  For me, this includes Savage Garden in all their glorious cheesiness, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill album (I have been known to scream out the words to "You Oughta Know" while driving), and I will unabashedly admit that I know all the words to the Backstreet Boys and NSYNC's earlier work, as well as the Spice Girls' "Wannabe."
I used to be really into discovering new artists; however, I find that it's getting harder and harder to find the time and energy to devote to this pursuit these days!  So, I end up listening to my same favourites over and over again, at least until my husband tells me that he heard an awesome song on the radio.  So, based on my preferred genres above, if there's anything that YOU love and think I'll enjoy too, PLEASE leave me a comment below -- my iTunes is in serious need of some new tunes!

1 comments:

  1. I love violins too! Have you ever heard any Skillet? Try their songs Comatose and Rebirthing, they have awesome violin riffs in them!
    Savage Garden and Backstreet Boys!! That's the kind of thing I listened to in my teens, too ;D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs