12/5/13

Life of a Blogger - Career


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat has just started this awesome new feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

Today's topic is CAREER.  Are you ready?  Here's the story of how I got to where I am today in my career...

Once upon a time, I was a little girl who loved to read.  So much, in fact, that I decided that it would be the best job in the whole wide world if I could work in a library one day.
Me Reading
But I grew up, as little girls do, and thought that being a writer would be way more fun.  In high school, reality hit home that it would be really hard to make it in the big bad world of writing, so I decided to go into journalism.  Two years into my degree, I realized that I just wasn’t hardhearted enough to make it as a journalist either.  The catch phrase “if it bleeds, it leads” just didn’t sit well with me, and so I contemplated a life as a teacher, where I could share my love of reading and writing with my students.  So I embarked on a one-year, post degree teaching program, which was going quite well until I realized that I also had to teach math, and science and … Physical Education.  After a lot of soul-searching, I withdrew from the teaching program and questioned everything career decision that I’d made thus far.  While looking for a job, any old job to pay the bills, I stumbled into property management and learned all there was to learn about stratas, before deciding to return to school part-time and pursue a library technician’s diploma.  It’s been a long but steady trek, but it feels good to be heading in the direction that my 8-year-old self knew was the right one all along.
If I could turn back time and choose this path from the beginning, would I take back all those wrong turns?  Sometimes I say yes, but other times I feel that I would make the same wrong choices if given the chance.  In the end, it is all those wrong decisions that have brought me to where I am in life and molded me into the person that I am now.  And I wouldn’t take any of that back.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I could ever be a journalist O_O

    That's awesome, though! Sure, you may have strayed off the path, but sometimes that's what you have to do to get where you need to be. Maybe the timing wouldn't have been right if you'd tried to stick with it! But I'm glad you're where you want to be now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to college for journalism went through the entire program graduated and started my master's program in journalism and realized that I was not cut out for the field. It just is so not me! Now I'm both unemployed and out of the master's program. I'm hoping to pursue a career in publishing and praying it works out. I thought I was so crazy to go through that and realize I didn't like it but looks like I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- you've had a crazy journey too! It was disheartening at the time to realize that I needed to change directions, but I'm glad I realized it halfway through my degree. Dropping out of the education program was probably my lowest point education wise -- I just felt so LOST and unsure of where I wanted to go or what I wanted to be when I grew up! So I totally feel your pain. I hope that publishing works out for you!!

      Delete
  3. I also started with a journalism major, but the idea of interviewing a lot of random people about a lot of different things really gave me anxiety. I decided it wasn't right for me either. I ended up majoring in fiction writing, but I'm now looking into grad school for library sciences. I'm glad to hear that it seems like a great fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I almost wish that I'd gone the master in library sciences route, since it seems like a lot of jobs require that level of education; however, I'm also glad that the program that I'm in allows me to just take a course at a time, and it's all online. I think, at this point in my life, I'm done with being a full-time student, so I like that I can just study a bit on the side along with working full-time. Good luck with your program!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs