12/27/13

A Look Back ... Bookish Resolutions of 2013

I cannot BELIEVE that 2013 is almost over ... where has the year gone?  It's hard to believe that this time last year, I was super pregnant and we were planning for the arrival of our new little one, not even knowing that it was a little boy!  And now Marko's almost 11 months old, growing, changing and surprising us each and every day.

At this time of the year, I usually look back at the resolutions that I set for myself and see what I've accomplished, and what I still need to work on.  So, with no further ado, here are my bookish resolutions from 2013.

1. Read 50 books.
Not only did I meet my goal, I surpassed it!  I definitely read more this year than I thought I would.

2. Read more books that I already own.
I honestly didn't think that I'd be able to read books with a library deadline, but I did manage to do just that and therefore did not read as many books on my shelves as I'd planned to.  Plus, I also bought a lot of books this year, most of which I didn't read.  But there's always next year, right?

3. Read some more "big kid" books.
I really like that I didn't set a number goal for myself on this one, so I can definitely say that I achieved this goal.  YA was definitely still high up on the list, but I did read a number of "big kid" titles.

4. Be okay with how much (or how little) I post on the blog.
I found myself in a blogging slump over the summer, which was definitely related to how much I was struggling to keep up with the blog.  I found myself not enjoying books, annoyed with my towering review pile and just frustrated by the whole blogging experience.  Out of that slump, I feel like I have a renewed and refreshed focus on blogging and was reminded by several followers that it's okay to not post often and it's okay to not review every book I read!  I've also started posting discussion posts and sharing reviews of old favourites.  Being able to write up some of these posts well in advance and when I actually have some time to sit down at the computer has really helped and made me feel proud of my blog once again.

5. Continue to enjoy the blogging community.
This is one resolution that I have definitely kept.  I feel like I've nurtured some good blogging friendships this year, especially with those that helped me to overcome my slump in the summer.  Plus, I overcame some of my shyness and approached a couple of bloggers about co-hosting some blog events ... and that absolutely reignited my blog fire again!

How about you?  Did you keep your bookish resolutions this year?  Please leave me a comment below and thanks for stopping by! xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great year and were able to keep many of your New Year's resolutions. I think it would be hard to be a new mom and a blogger, but I'm glad you were able to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I went through a long no reading period (almost an entire year) and I only just picked it up again in July. I missed it so much, and I'm really glad I started reading again. So sadly I had no 2013 resolutions, books or otherwise. This year I made some though so that 2014 will be a far more productive year. That's awesome you were able to achieve all of your goals, especially as a new mom and a blogger. A+ for you, indeed!

    Sydney @ Utterly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay M! You did really good this year :) I can't believe it's almost been a whole year with Marko. Talk about time flying! I love that reading adult books was one of your resolutions - hope you'll carry that over into 2014, too. And I'm glad you're feeling better about blogging. Taking breaks whenever I feel like it and not reviewing everything I read are two things that definitely helped me when I came out of my huge blogging break last year.

    I had a "read what I own" type resolution on my list, too, and it's probably the one I did the worst at this last year. I need to figure out a better way to stop buying so many books and leaving them unread!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs