12/20/13

A Look Back at Fall...

I've seen other blogger's monthly round-up posts, and always thought that it seems like a fun idea, but the thought of committing to one per month is a little much, so I thought I'd go by seasons! I've always enjoyed the Top Ten Tuesday posts for seasonal TBRs, so this round-up post will go along with my plans for the coming season ... a look back and a look forward!

I made lists about about bookish turnoffs, my predictions for the best and the worst for series enders (because, you know, it's not like I'm good at finishing many series!), books that I was forced to read, books that I can't wait to get my hands on, 2014 releases that I can't wait for and the books on my winter TBR.

I started a new feature called Friday Favourites, where I share some of my all-time favourite reads from before I started blogging.  During the fall, I shared the Harry Potter series, Fall on Your Knees, The God of Small Things and White Oleander.

I also shared a few discussion posts.  I've really enjoyed putting these together, and it's really taken the pressure off review writing, since I feel that I can share some original content in addition to memes, without stressing myself out about reading books at such a fast pace.  During the fall, I wrote about bookish hype, saying no, adult fiction and the importance of moments.

In Canada, we had Thanksgiving in October and I posted about bookish thankfulness and in November we had Remembrance Day, so I shared some thoughts (and a book) on the topic of remembering the sacrifices that our armed forces have made.

I celebrated my third wedding anniversary and shared a post on how it all began (with a link to last year's post on the same topic -- our how we met story!)

And finally, the books!  Here's the full list, with links to my reviews:
  • I started the fall off with a Christmas-y read, Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.
  • I had an incredibly personal connection to Me Before You because of my dad's spinal cord injury, so I shared a bit of my personal story and a photo from my wedding.
  • I dove into Wally Lamb's latest book, We Are Water, which I absolutely LOVED.  It was great taking some time to enjoy a longer read, even if the pages flew by so quickly that it felt like a shorter book.
  • I officially decided that I was done with Julie Kagawa's fairy books after reading The Iron Traitor.  They're not bad books, but I think I just read too many of them in a short span of time.
  • Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always was a book with a contemporary cover, but filled with tough issues.  It walked the fine line between being a good book and being too preachy, but the writing saved it for me.
  • After loving Five People You Meet in Heaven and thinking that Tuesdays With Morrie was ooooohkay, I ended up enjoying The First Phone Call from Heaven.
  • I finished The Girl of Fire & Thorns trilogy with The Bitter Kingdom -- awesome series!
  • I'm still on the fence with Rainbow Rowell's books.  I liked Fangirl better than Eleanor + Park, but not as much as Attachments.
  • I read my second Sarah Jio novel of the year with Morning Glory and REALLY liked it.
  • I started the Pushing the Limits series.
It's funny because, looking over my list of books, it seems MUCH smaller than the list of books that I read during the summer.  Part of this is due to the fact that I've read a number of review books for next year already.  I was white-listed for Harper Teen a couple of months ago, so I downloaded some highly anticipated titles and just couldn't wait to dive in.  In hindsight, I'm glad I did start reading these books early, as it's given me a chance to have a number of reviews already scheduled for January and February, which means that I can relax and read what I want to over the holidays.  Isn't that what the holidays are made for anyway?

Thanks for stopping by!  As always, your comments warm my heart!

2 comments:

  1. I love these posts because it's always cool to see what you did for the last month, or in your case season. I just spent a little while going through the posts you mentioned here, and I really enjoyed your discussion posts. :) I read the first Julie Kagawa book and had the last 3 to read, but ended up returning them to the library because I just wasn't that interested. I felt bad, but I had other books I was more into. Oh well.

    Sydney @ Utterly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of doing a seasonal round-up! I hope you keep this up :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs