12/9/13

2013 End of Year Book Survey


One of my favourite end-of-the-year moments is when Jaime @ The Perpetual Page-Turner launches her end of the year book survey!  It's a great opportunity to look back through the books that I read last year.  Plus, I LOVE reading other blogger's responses.  So, if you took part in the survey, please leave me a link below so that I can check out your answers!  Without any further ado, here goes...


1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
One of my favourite parts of this survey is simply looking back over the books that I read this year ... and going "Oh yeah, I forgot about that book!"  It's amazing how many good reads I enjoyed this year.  If I have to choose just one, I think I'll go with Wild Awake.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Eleanor + Park.  I loved Attachments so much, and this one was WAY too overhyped for me.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
I don't think I expected to fall in love with Hopeless as much as I did -- this book prompted a summer spent reading ALL of her books!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Probably Hopeless -- I just bought a copy for my sister-in-law for Christmas!

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Either Under the Never Sky or Girl of Fire and Thorns.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
I read a LOT of new-to-me authors this year ... but, again, if I must choose one, I'll go with Rae Carson.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Girl of Fire & Thorns -- I'm not that into fantasy, but I LOVED this series!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Unravel Me.  I might die reading Ignite Me.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I have re-reads planned for next year (lots of book 1s in a series that I plan to finish), but none are ones that I read this year.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Fuse -- I love all the covers in this series!

11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Hmm, probably Ruby Oliver!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Definitely Wild Awake.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Another easy one: Me Before You.  My dad's injury mirrored Will's and that book tore my heart out in a completely unexpected way.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
I read a lot of newer books this year, and not so many older ones.  I did TRY to read Under the Never Sky last year, and then put it down again because I was confused.  Thankfully, I was encouraged to give it a second shot and I'm SO glad that I did!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
Since Wild Awake took the most beautifully written book category, I knew I had to choose a quote from this book:
People are like cities: We all have alleys and gardens and secret rooftops and places where daisies sprout between the sidewalk cracks, but most of the time all we let each other see is is a postcard glimpse of a skyline or a polished square. Love lets you find those hidden places in another person, even the ones they didn't know were there, even the ones they wouldn't have thought to call beautiful themselves.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this year that was the shortest and longest.
Longest -- We Are Water by Wally Lamb (576 pages!)
Shortest -- Goodbye Chunky Rice (only 128 pages!)

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Yikes, is it a bad thing when I didn't read any books that made me do this?  Perhaps it's because I've kind of stayed away from series this year ... those are usually the books with the WTF endings.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Elisa and Hector, hands down.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
We Are Water -- I love all things Wally Lamb.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else.
Me Before You could win this category as well, but Cass will probably get too many book pushing shout-outs, so I'll go with Fingerprints ofYou, which was a recommendation from Estelle.  Although, actually, I only heard about it because Cass said she recommended it -- so I guess I have to give Cass credit on that one too!

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
It was a pretty contemporary heavy year this year!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Confession: I don't really have fictional crushes, but I have to say that Hector was pretty swoon-worthy.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I didn't read many 2013 debuts, but I think I'll go with Someday, Someday, Maybe.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The world in the Under the Never Sky series was amazingly vivid.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Probably the Ruby Oliver series ... she's such a fun likeable character, and I loved her lists and her snark.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Since I'm a new mom and have therefore been overly emotional at random times this year, I'm going to go with one of my new favourite picture books from this year, Wherever You Are, My Love Will Find You.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I think that there's so much love out there for Eleanor + Park and Fangirl, but my favourite of Rainbow's novels still has to be Attachments.


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I recently stumbled across Swept Away By Books, which is run by a Vancouver blogger, Alyssa.  Although I'm not actually IN Vancouver, but just outside, yay for local bloggers!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
Me Before You, as it is definitely my most personal review on the blog thus far.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Probably my post on losing my e-reading virginity.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Jaime @ The Perpetual Page-Turner immediately jumped to mind on this question, mainly because I find that she'll post a discussion post about something that had JUST been on my mind -- like we're psychically connected or something.  Instead, I'll link to just this one, where she wrote about a quote from Jessi Kirby's Golden: What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?  SUCH an amazing post.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Sadly, no author signings this year.  Cassandra Clare came to town, but it was just after Marko was born, so I didn't have the time or the energy to go!

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Probably getting white listed for Harper Teen titles on Edelweiss -- I literally squealed when I realized that I could download Panic!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
By number of comments, it's probably my post announcing Marko's arrival into the world.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I'm going to be shameless for a moment, and just plug the challenge that I'm co-hosting next year.  *ahem*  If your series TBR is out of control, you should sign-up for the Sequel & Prequel Challenge!

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Hubby and I did a mini roadtrip out to Chilliwack over the summer, as we're somewhat considering moving there.  Not anytime soon, but just a tentative plan.  Whenever we go somewhere new, we ALWAYS check out the local bookstore.  It was a HUGE plus in Chilliwack's favour to discover The Book Man.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I finished my Goodreads challenge last month, but failed epically at my TBR challenge.  Not that I set any goals for myself anyways, but I hadn't planned on reading ANY library books this year, yet that's exactly what I ended up doing!


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
The one that's probably at the top of my list is Days of Blood & Starlight.  I had to return it to the library unread because of my pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel, but I'm planning to reread Daughter of Smoke & Bone and then the next two early next year.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
I already did a top ten Tuesday post on this, and completely forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT BOOK OF ALL.  Morgan Matson has a new book coming out!!!!!!!!!  This book is CLEARLY at the top of my anticipated reads for 2014 ... I can't BELIEVE that I had forgotten about it until I was reading through everyone else's posts!

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I'm not much of a debut anticipator ... I usually wait to see others' reviews before picking up an unknown author's book.  But I did already read No One Else Can Have You and really liked it!

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Definitely Ignite Me -- I can't WAIT!

5. One Thing You Hope to Accomplish or Do in Your Reading/Blogging in 2014?
Next year is going to be the year of completing all (or at least making a significant dent in) my series TBR pile.  It's out of control and ridiculous.  There are so many other series that I want to start, but I just feel like these others are looming over my head!  2014 is the year!

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of pregnancy induced carpal tunnel. When I was pregnant I wouldn't be able to hold anything for long ... books didn't bother me, but my hand would start yelling in pain if I held a phone long, and I couldn't write. I dont know if this is the same thing or not.

    Anyway, love your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was similar for sure -- the fingertips on my right hand were numb, and it hurt to hold a hardcover book up for too long, hence the fact that I had to give up and return it to the library =( Luckily it went away shortly after my little boy was born. Thanks for stopping by my survey -- I've just visited yours as well!

      Delete
  2. First, congrats on being a new mom!

    Second, I love Fire & Thorns too. Hector and Elisa are so amazing. I still need to get the third book so I can finish the series though. I've been meaning to get to it but haven't yet. I also read Under the Never Sky this year too, and I can't wait to read Through the Ever Night.

    Thanks so much for commenting on my survey earlier!

    Ashling @ Reading, Writing & Anything but Arithmetic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you're welcome! I hope you get to read The Bitter Kingdom soon, as well as Through the Ever Night. They're both such great series!

      Delete
  3. winningggg on the book pushing!

    SO excited for your white listing for Harper, YAY for Panic! I am also super excited for that one.

    I ADORED your Me Before You review and commend you for being that open <3.

    IGNITE ME WILL SLAY ME AS WELL.

    LOVE this survey and all of its answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm sure you're going to see your name on the bookish recommendation question for quite a few bloggers missy!

      And thanks for the compliment on my review *blushes*

      Delete
  4. I'm really happy I read Eleanor & Park at the very beginning of the year just before all the hype but I think I would have loved it the same. I need to read Hopeless, I still need to read a book in the NA genre. That quote is beautiful! Definitely makes me want to check out Wild Awake.
    Haha, I can totally relate to that out of control TBR. I don't think I can escape the mention of Shatter Me series, if it wasn't for the overwhelming amount of books I have to read I would have bought the book already. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen Hoover's the only NA author that I've read. Her books are good, but fluffy good, not deep soul-searching kind of good. Let me know what you think of Wild Awake if you do pick it up -- it's not a book for everyone, but those who love it REALLY love it.

      Delete
  5. Hi! Hooray for another great year of blogging and reading! I'm so glad Wild Awake and Lauren Graham's debut made your list. So so so good. I just read your above comment about Colleen Hoover and I'm wondering if you should try Lisa Desrochers for NA? I really liked "A Little Too Far"... it was one of the better written NAs I've read.

    I'm hoping 2014 is a year of great reads for you... I know you've been in a little bit of a slump and I hope something really gets you so so so excited soon. Thanks for being such a supportive blogging pal. It's been great to get to know you and I can't wait to continue into the shiny new year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your most memorable character is Ruby Oliver!!! She would definitely make my list for most memorable characters of all books I've read. That was such a fun series. I wish I could read it all over again for the first time! No One Else Can Have You is definitely high on my 2014 must-read list. I love that cover! And I totally agree about Jamie's discussion posts. She's very good at them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adored Colleen Hoover's Slammed series, I really need to read Hopeless and Losing Hope! I've seen Wild Awake on quite a few books, I might have to get that one for myself.

    Great answers :) My End of Year Survey

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs