11/14/13

The Bitter Kingdom - Rae Carson

I read The Girl of Fire & Thorns in May and then The Crown of Embers in September.  I must say that I'm quite proud of myself for reading this entire series in one year!

Judith @ Paper Riot posted this great post last week about her enthusiasm diminishing for certain series over time, and I have to agree with what she wrote.  I think this is why I have such a problem with finishing series; I read book one and I'm all "This is AMAZING!  I can't wait for the next book!" and then by the time the next book comes out, I'm just "Meh.  I want to read something else."  BUT with this series, I gobbled up book one, waited for book two to come in at the library, and by the time that one was finished I didn't have long to wait until book three came in.  I think it also really helped that my memory was so fresh on the storyline too.  I have a tendency to be really forgetful with books and I think I don't finish series specifically because I just can't remember what happened in the first book, nor do I have that sense of urgency that comes just after I've finished reading the book.

BUT I digress.  I have to say that I still liked The Crown of Embers a little bit more, but this was a fitting end to the series.  There was one part that I still don't think I really understand.  Just in case I'm being spoilery, if you've read this (highlight the next part) -- what was up with the oasis?  I think I need someone to e-mail me and help me make sense of that part.  I'm a little confused.

I recommend this series wholeheartedly.  It's a great story, fantastic world building, characters that are really well developed and an interesting premise.

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the series thing! I do it too. I read Divergent and loved it, I bought the second book as soon as it came out and I have yet to read it.

    I'm happy to hear that you loved the whole series too! It's so amazing. I can't wait for more from Rae Carson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think I'll automatically check out anything new that she writes .. she's a great storyteller!

      We can hold hands and finish the Divergent series -- I've read Insurgent, but have Allegiant on my Christmas wishlist so I won't read it 'til next year. I've managed to avoid seeing any reviews so far, so hopefully I can dive in anticipation-free!

      Delete
  2. I loved that spoiler part-I don't think we're supposed to understand why she did that but to understand that she completed it with other people instead of just by herself unlike all the other people through history who killed themselves because they didn't have those relationships. This actually ended up being my favorite of the series even though, like you, the first book is usually my favorite. I loved pretty much everything that happened and enjoyed getting a peek into Hector's head.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs