11/20/13

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

In all honesty, I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm a fan of Rainbow Rowell's writing.  I know, I know -- how scandalous of me to say such a thing, right?  I think my expecations are often too high when I pick up one of her novels, which saddens me.  I LOVED Attachments when I read it last spring, so when I picked up Eleanor + Park, I was expecting to be blown away, especially since so many of my blogging buddies adored it.  It was good, but just not as spectacular as I'd been hoping for.

When reviews of Fangirl started popping up, it seemed like the blogging community had mixed thoughts.  So I went into Fangirl not expecting much, and ended up enjoying it.  I didn't love it, but it was a pretty good read.  There's not too much that I can add to what's already been said around the blogosphere.  The fanfiction bits were a bit odd, so I found myself skimming or skipping them altogether.  I liked the characters though -- I think that's one of Rainbow's ultimate strengths as an author.  She writes fan-freaking-tastic characters that are so well developed and REAL.  I also like that not all of her characters have to be likeable -- they have flaws, but that's what makes them seem so lifelike.

If you're a fan of Rainbow's work, then you'll probably like this one.  If you're on the fence like me, I still think it's worth a read.  The most interesting thing about Rainbow so far is that none of her books are alike -- from adult to YA to new adult -- so I am interested to see what she comes up with next.

4 comments:

  1. I just bought Fangirl tonight and am eager to check it out. It will be my first book by this author, so it will be interesting to see how my opinion differs from lacking a background. An interesting review, though. And I agree--Fangirl has been getting massive hype, so it's nice to see a bit more neutrality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I hope you like it ... and at least if you don't, her other books are SO different than you might find a different one to love!

      Delete
  2. I'm still not sure if I want to read this or not! I do like flawed characters, but I just…ehh. For some reason I feel like I wouldn't like this one much. But I'm sure someday curiosity will get the better of me! I definitely want to try SOMETHING by Rainbow, but I'd probably go for Attachments since it seems to have better ratings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved her first two books but Fangirl fell a bit flat for me-I think it was the fanfiction excerpts that did it. They just didn't work for me and I was bored during those parts.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs