10/29/13

The Iron Traitor - Julie Kagawa

Confession time:  I started reading this book feeling rather tired of the whole Iron Fey series, so I wasn't prepared to enjoy it.  I requested it on Netgalley before I read Iron Knight (which was my least favourite of the series) and thought that it was simply book 5 in the series.  Since I'm on a campaign lately to finish the series that I've started, and refrain from starting any new ones, I was rather disappointed to discover that this was a spin-off of the Iron Fey series and, instead of just diving straight into this one, I had to read The Lost Prince first.

I borrowed The Lost Prince from the library, and read about half of it before my loan expired and I couldn't open it on my Kobo anymore.  So I went back on the site and tried to borrow it again, but I still couldn't get it to work.  I was tempted to just give up on the series, but I decided to jump into The Iron Traitor anyways.

You really don't need to read The Lost Prince first, since the book did a nice job of recapping the previous book (although I did know who the characters were).  I liked reading a story from Ethan's point of view, and I found him much more tolerable in this book.  He started off really angry at the world in The Lost Prince, and it was hard to relate to him because he was just so .... unlikeable.  The Iron Traitor had its action-packed moments and its slow-paced moments, which is typical of most of Kagawa's work.  During most of her books, there were moments where I contemplated DNF-ing the book because it slowed down so much, but then moments where I couldn't turn the pages fast enough once the action picked back up again.  This ebb and flow of plot pacing might work for some, but it's not really my style.  I've read quite a few of Kagawa's books since I started up this blog, but I fear that this one may be my last.  But for those of you that are fans of her work and her Iron Fey series, this book is one that you will likely enjoy!

Note: I received an e-galley of this book from Netgalley.  The fact that I received this book for review did not influence my opinion of this book in any way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs