9/8/13

The Truth About You and Me - Amanda Grace

I'll be perfectly honest and say that my initial interest in this book was the cover.  It looked like it was going to be a really tender, romantic story, and I love the handwriting font that was used in the title.

I don't even think I read the blurb for the book before I hit request.  And, as soon as my request was approved, I started reading, even though the publication date was months away.

The story is told as a letter, written by Madelyn to Bennett.  Madelyn is a high school student who is part of a running start program that allows her to take college classes instead of her high school curriculum.  Biology, taught by Bennett, is her favourite class -- but not for the subject material.  She's fallen head over heels for her teacher, and her letter to him is written after everything falls apart, as a means of explaining how things unravelled.

I'm a little biased when it comes to reviewing this type of story, since I'm the wife of a high school teacher.  As I explained in my review of Colleen Hoover's Slammed, teacher-student stories just don't do it for me.  At least, in Slammed, Layken and Will are fairly close in age; however, Madelyn and Bennett are much further apart in age.  Madelyn does a good job of explaining the laws that are for and against their relationship; however, I just can't get past the ick factor.

Despite the fact that the subject matter gives me the creeps, the story is well-told.  I liked the letter format, since it really felt like the story is told from Madelyn's heart.  She's pouring her feelings out onto the page and it feels very intimate, rather than a traditional first-person narrative.  The writing style itself is very fluid and poetic at times, and there were a few lines that really made me stop and say, "Wow, that's very beautifully written."  Even though Madelyn is only sixteen, she sees the world in an adult way.

I don't think this book was really for me, but I think it will still appeal to many readers.  The storytelling style is unique, and it is very well-written.  I'm intrigued enough to try another novel by the same author, just as long as it doesn't have a teacher-student relationship at the centre of the story!

Note: I received an e-galley of this book from Netgalley.  The fact that I received this book for review did not influence my review of this book in any way.

3 comments:

  1. I only heard about this book, never read it my self. Love the cover, but don`t think this is the book for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the exact same way about the book! My review is up on my blog as well. However, I'm here from the Blogger Spotlight Tour! I couldn't find your Bloglovin' link so I'm following you via GFC.
    Laura @ Music Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you didn't even read the blurb before requesting! Honestly the summary did play a role in my wanting to read this, just to see how this relationship was handled and I enjoyed the way it played out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs