9/11/13

Blogger Spotlight Tour: Jessica @ Ramblings on Readings


I'm excited to be part of the first annual blogger spotlight tour, hosted by Justine @ The Closet Library and Jazmen @ This Girl Reads A Lot.  As part of this tour, I interviewed Jessica of Ramblings on Readings (@jpeterson1027 on Twitter).  Welcome Jessica!

Tell me a little about yourself.


I’m a Texas girl going to college in SC, working towards a Musical Theatre degree. I’m dying to work at Disney World as a performer. I also am working on getting my first novel ready to send to publishers to see if it piques anyone’s interest. I’ve loved reading ever since my mom read “The Hobbit” out loud to me when I was five. I discovered I loved writing in fifth grade when I wrote my first story. 

When and why did you start blogging?


I have actually only been blogging for five months ( I said only, but when I counted the months I was surprised at how long it’s been already!). I’ve always loved reading and discussing reviews, and knew I loved to write, so I thought I’d start writing reviews. It’s also a great way to build your platform for if you want to have an audience for any of your own work, although I also just love being able to discuss books I’ve read with other bloggers. 

What is your favourite genre of books?  If you can choose just one, what's your favourite book of all time?


I would have to say YA Fantasy/Paranormal. Funny enough, however, my favorite book, “The Hobbit” doesn’t fit into that category. 

What book(s) are you currently reading?


I’m currently reading “Perverse” by Larry Rodness and “Witchstruck” by Victoria Lamb. 

Describe your perfect reading environment (i.e. location, snacks, drink of choice, weather outside).


In my room, on my bed, eating sour patch watermelon and drinking diet coke. Pull the window open, let the cats hop up into my lap. Perfect afternoon. 

Name one book that made you cry.  What was it about this book that stirred up your emotions?


“The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green. Not that this really needs an explanation, but Green just creates such likeable characters and then makes horrible things happen to them. It’s a heartbreaking, gut wrenching, breath-stealing kind of story. 

Have you ever been in a reading slump?  What was the book that cured the slump?


I actually was just kind of in one; because I just started blogging recently, I’m not very choosy about my review requests that I accept, and I’ve gotten quite a few self-published books that I just didn’t love or weren’t very high quality (this is a generalization and not at all true across the board; I just had an unlucky streak for a few weeks). And because I was on a schedule, it wasn’t as fun to just read. Even when I picked up books I’d been wanting to read for forever, I didn’t feel like reading them. So I slowed down, picked up “Scarlet” by Marissa Meyer and LOVED it (I adored “Cinder” as well). I reworked my blog schedule to be more enjoyable, started being more selective about requests, and now I’m flying through books and enjoying them like I used to!

Which upcoming release are you most looking forward to reading?


Well, I literally JUST read two books that I was dying for: “Origin” by Jennifer L. Armentrout and “Crown of Midnight” by Sarah J. Maas. But I would say either “The Fiery Heart” by Richelle Mead or “Sentinel” by Jennifer L. Armentrout. 

How do you decide which book to read next?


I try to read one request, then a book of my choice, then a NetGalley, and then repeat. But I would say I’m very drawn to covers. If the cover is pretty, it’s likely I will give the book a chance. 

Name one book that hasn't had a lot of bookish buzz.  Why should this book be on everyone's TBR list?


“Taking Back Forever” by Karen Amanda Hooper. It’s the second book in The Kindrily Series, and it takes the series to a whole new level! Hooper creates a really interesting world centered around the idea of reincarnation and soul mates, and the romance isn’t too shabby either :) 

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Jessica!  And please check out Jessica's blog, Ramblings on Readings, where Jessica reads and reviews a wide variety of books!  I love the quote in her header too: When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes (Erasmus).  Don't we all?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for being apart of the tour. We couldn't have done it without you.

    Great job on the spotlight :) I hope to do this with you again next year.
    Stop by my blog anytime, don't be a stranger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. stopping by from http://grownupfangirl.blogspot.com :) yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! And Jessica, I hear ya on the indie writers thing. A big part of me really wants to support them, but I've read quite a few that seemed like the author didn't do any revisions - so not only does the story jump all over the place, but it's also riddled with typos - and those make me pull my hair out! I may need to take your approach and rethink which books I accept for reviewing :) I've heard a ton of good things about Armentrout's books. Maybe I'll check those out next :)

    Shout out for the 1st Annual Blogger Spotlight Tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame about some of the indie books! And I'm slightly obsessed with Jennifer L. Armentrout. I've read almost everything she's published (she's published 24 books in the past 3 years!!) The amazing thing to me is her series are SO different and yet she releases 8 books a year! She's incredible!

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much Melissa! I really appreciate it! Loving this tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I also loved Crown of Midnight and can't wait for The Fiery Heart :) I haven't read Origin yet... I have a rather big stack of unread books and want to decimate it a bit before buying too many new ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs