It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is book turn offs!
1. Love triangles.I am SO, so sick of them.
2. Teacher / student relationships.ICK! This is mainly due to the fact that my hubby is a teacher.
3. Confusing world building.If I can't wrap my head around it, then I'm DNF-ing. Although there are some exceptions -- Under the Never Sky confused me, but I was convinced by some blogger buddies to give it a second go and I loved it!
4. Boring covers.I'll admit, I'm a judge a book by it's cover kind of gal. Unless I'm convinced by rave reviews, a book with an unappealing cover will usually get a pass from me.
5. Stinky books.I like a used bookstore, but a dusty, musty, stuck-in-a-wet-basement-for-eons-book is NOT coming home with me.
6. Series that go on and on and on and on...Two that immediately jump to mind are the House of Night series and Pretty Little Liars. Unless there's an end in sight, I'm out.
7. Female characters with no backbone.C'mon, aren't we supposed to be empowering young women? Characters that are whiny, wimpy and don't take control of their own destinies might just cause me to throw the book across the room.
8. Violently angry male characters.On the flip side, really angry male characters also irk me. Holder in Hopeless immediately jump to mind. Although I did like him in the end, his irrational flip outs turned me off.
9. Confusing fantasy.I recently took a tentative step back towards reading fantasy, but I used to shy away from this genre because of characters with names like Thrystenfanifaliukn who were part-goblin, part-lion, part-unicorn, part-dragon ... you get the picture. Whaaaaaaat?
10. Starting off with a bang and then ... meh.I can't even count how many books start off SO strong, only to fizzle ... and then hit the DNF list.
I honestly didn't think I had that many pet peeves when it comes to reading! What are the things that make you go "Grrrrrr!" while reading and toss the book aside? Leave me a link to your Top Ten Tuesday, and I'll stop by.