8/7/13

This Girl - Colleen Hoover

The summer of 2013 shall be hereafter known as the Summer of Colleen Hoover.  After I read Hopeless a few months ago, I have read the rest of Colleen's works, culminating in this final book of the Slammed series.  While I had some minor issues with Slammed (teacher-student relationships are icky for me), I enjoyed Point of Retreat much more.  I was thrilled when my request to review This Girl was approved on Edelweiss (my first request and first approval -- how exciting), and started reading my review copy immediately.

This Girl was good, but not excellent.  As always, Colleen Hoover tells a fantastic story -- I read the entire book in a day and a half.  After reading Losing Hope earlier this summer, I think I'm just tired of reading the same story that I've already read, even if it's told from a different perspective.  This Girl is from Will's perspective, like Point of Retreat, except in addition to being a continuation of the story, Will is also telling his side of the story of the events that occurred in Slammed.  There were moments where I thought it was interesting to hear his side of the story, and other moments when I just wished that there was more NEW moments in THIS story.  I also found it mildly irritating that, despite all of that Layken and Will have been through together, there were still moments when they'd get mad at each other over the events of the past.  I wanted to yell at them to get over themselves, focus on the future, and let bygones be bygones.  Seriously.

BUT WAIT.  Just when I was ready to assign a three-star rating to the book and chalk it up to a just so-so read ... the ending of the book happened.  And I was in tears.  But, without spoiling anything, this emotional reaction may also be related to recent events in MY life.  The ending is still really, really, really good and redeemed the rest of the book; however, I do hope that Ms. Hoover's next book will include brand new characters with a brand new story.

Note: I received an e-galley of this book from Edelweiss.  The fact that I received this book for review did not influence my review of this book in any way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs