5/13/13

Marko Monday [1]

So, I've been thinking of starting a picture book feature for a while, since Marko and I have been working our way through stacks of picture books each week.  It's never to early to start gently nudging him towards a lifetime of reading, right?  I've been trying to find the right way to introduce it, as well as which day of the week is best.  Since there's no days of the week that start with the letter "P," I've opted for Marko Mondays.

Each week (or as close to each week as I can manage), I'll do a short review of a picture book that we've read and loved.  Sometimes (actually, probably more often than sometimes), I'll share a picture of my handsome little man, who's growing and changing every day.


I saw this video on Twitter last week (I don't know how to embed it, since it's on Vimeo not YouTube), posted in advance of Mother's Day (which was yesterday), and thought that the stars were aligned for this feature to be launched!  Happy Picture Book Month =)

With no further ado, my first review will be of Robert Munsch's Love You Forever.  Munsch is one of Canada's most well-known children's writers (although I just read in his Goodreads bio that he was actually born in the States!), who may be best known for The Paper Bag Princess (a story of one kick @$$ princess, but that's a story for another day).

I remember reading Love You Forever when I was younger, and even bought a copy for a good friend before the birth of her first child, but I don't think the story quite resonated as strongly as it does with me now that I'm a mother.  The mother in the story rocks her son and sings the following song,
I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be
From the time that he is a newborn, until he's a grown-up man, this is the heartwarming tale of a mother's love for her son, and it brought tears to my eyes.  I read it again to my husband the following day, thinking that I had the tears part under control.  But not only did this book make me cry a second time, my hubby also teared up!  It's such a cute little story, simply told but so heartfelt.  Highly recommended!

2 comments:

  1. That book makes me cry every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this feature, Melissa! Marko is so adorable! I read this book with my mom when I was young and it always stuck with us. She gave me a copy at the baby shower to add to Finn's library. I can't wait to read it (and cry) with him.

    Also, I'm not sure if you're a Friends fan, but there's a great episode where Joey does a dramatic reading of this for a last minute birthday gift for Rachel's daughter and everyone cries! It's great. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs