4/22/13

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi

I started reading this book last summer, but it was due back at the library before I had the chance to really get into the story.  Then, I read Hannah @ So Obssessed With's review, and knew that I had to give this book a second shot.

The world building is confusing at the beginning.  With so many other dystopian-type fiction, we're thrust into a world that's quite different from our own, but the author describes and explains things as the story unfolds.  With Under the Never Sky, we're dropped into this world, and things start happening, without that explanation stage.  It was a little disconcerting at the beginning, but the world did start to make sense as I read further into the book.  For anyone who hasn't yet read this book, I think this is a really helpful thing to know before you start reading -- otherwise, I definitely would have given up much, much earlier.

Once you're in the world, you are IN.  The story unfolds so perfectly as Aria takes off on her adventure and meets Peregrine, or Perry.  I absolutely LOVED the connection between the two of them.  It's so perfect and fitting.  When I heard about Roar, I was excited to meet his character, but also a little apprehensive that this was going to be the infamous love triangle.  I was relieved that Roar's in love with someone else, so I could just enjoy the wittiness that his character brought to the story, without the love triangle confusion.

The story in the book is great and has the perfect amount of suspense.  I like that the story wrapped up at the end, but still left me wanting to read the second installment.  Unfortunately, it's still on order at my library, so I might be waiting a while!  I'm definitely planning to continue reading this series, and I'm super excited for the next one, since I've heard it's even better than the first book!

8 comments:

  1. Great review! I completely agree with you about how confusing it was at the beginning. I almost gave up, but my mom had recommended it to me and she's usually pretty good with recommendations so I kept going and was so happy I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I've never read another dystopian like UtNS, where you're just thrust into the world with no explanations, but in the end it worked out quite well. It does make me wonder how many people gave up on the series if the book hadn't come highly recommended.

      And hooray for mom recommendations!

      Delete
  2. I had trouble getting started with this one too but then I found my way. Loved the hate turned to friendship turned to love relationship-so much better than instalove. Your review also reminds me that I need to get the sequel from my library, which hopefully has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree -- instalove is a little hard to grasp sometimes, but the love interest developed so much more naturally in this book!

      Delete
  3. In theory I like when dystopians let things unfold naturally, rather than info-dumping you at the beginning, but the logical part of my brain likes to rebel and demand facts straight away! Glad you enjoyed this - it sounds good and I'll be looking out for it at the library. (As an aside, I hate when you're into a series and you have to wait for it to be ordered in - hope it arrives soon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and it totally depends on HOW the info-dump is done. Sometimes it's totally unrealistic, like when a character asks questions about something that they already know about, just so that the reader can be informed. Silly. But letting it unfold naturally is tricky to write -- this is one book that did it really well.

      I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you find a copy!

      Delete
  4. WOOOHOOOOOOO! I'm seriously SO glad you gave this one a second chance. I almost gave up on it in the beginning, too, and then I get sad thinking about what I would have missed out on if I had. I can't wait for you to read Through the Ever Night - it's even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for encouraging me! I'm looking forward to the sequel too; it's so rare that book 2 surpasses book 1 in awesomeness, but I keep hearing that statement about TtEN, so I can't wait to see for myself.

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs