1/2/13

Bookish Resolutions for 2013

Happy New Year Everyone!  I was originally going to do The Broke and the Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday post for this week, and post the top ten books that I plan to read in 2013, but ... well, now it's Wednesday and that didn't quite happen.  Plus, I spent so much time over the last couple of days reading through all of your bookish new year's resolution posts ... so I figured that I should do my own!  It's never to late to reflect on last year and plan for the coming year, right?

1. Read 50 books.
Last year, my goal was 75 books and I read 82 books.  This year, I'm setting my sights lower because I just don't know how much reading time I'll have with a new baby in the house, but also because I want to focus on enjoying the books that I read, rather than rushing through them to meet a number goal.

2. Read more books that I already own.
Since I'm going to be focusing on savouring the books, rather than rushing through them, I'd also like to not be rushed by those pesky library due dates.  So this year, I will take a small hiatus from my library and focus on reading some of the books that I already own, but just haven't found the time to read yet.  These include: Across the Universe, UnWholly (I may re-read Unwind first too, since I started this one a couple of months ago and found that I'd totally forgotten what happens in the first book), The Maze Runner, Ship Breaker, I Am Number Four, Half-Blood, Beautiful Disaster, Clockwork Prince, the rest of the Inkheart series, the rest of the Sea of Trolls series, Halo ... and the list goes on.  Plus, all of the wonderful books that I got for Christmas this year (see my first vlog here), or the amazing pile of books that Evie @ Bookish gave to me a year ago (see the full list here) that I STILL haven't found the time to read.

3. Read some more "big kid" books.
Following along with my previous resolution, I have SO many adult books collecting dust on my shelves, because I've been primarily reading YA this year.  Perhaps this also falls under the category of trying to read as many books as I can, rather than quality over quantity.  Books that I'd like to try this year include: Outlander, Game of Thrones, finishing Shantaram, finishing The Constant Princess and reading The Other Boleyn Girl, reading the sequel to Shadow of the Wind (I actually have two of his books, and I haven't read either one yet and I LOVED Shadow of the Wind), reading some more Stephen King (my hubby's favourite!), getting back into Margaret Atwood (I'd like to finally read Robber Bride, which has been on my TBR for years), The Name of the Rose and the Name of the Wind (two completely different books, but were both picked up over Easter at my favourite used bookstore -- heard amazing things about both!).

4. Be okay with how much (or how little) I post on the blog.
Now that I've been blogging for a steady year and a half (hard to imagine that it's been that long already!) I think that I've finally found my groove in terms of posting.  At first, I felt like once I decided to participate in a meme, that I had to join in every week.  This was a little stressful, and I found myself madly trying to write up my Top Ten Tuesday, or spending an entire day on the weekend scheduling my TGIF posts in advance.  Now that I've been doing this for a while, I've found a few favourite memes that I'll come back to, but I'm not worried if I miss a week or two of posting because I'm busy with other things.  Besides, some of those TTT posts can be HARD to write, and I'd rather just join in when the topic inspires me!  So it might be a little sporadic here and there, but I hope you'll bear with me while I learn to juggle reading, blogging and motherhood (and no, not in that order!)

5. Continue to enjoy the blogging community.
Not that I've ever NOT enjoyed this community, but this resolution is just to remind myself that, even if my blog posting slows down a little, that I can still interact with all of the wonderful friends that I've made through comments, Goodreads, Twitter, etc.  I love getting recommendations for amazing books and, although I'm going to try to stay in the loop with all of your amazing blogs, feel free to drop me a line (e-mail or Twitter or Goodreads) if you read something amazing!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and reading my resolutions.  If you've posted some bookish resolutions, or have any suggestions for me on how to meet my goals, please leave me a comment and I'll stop by and visit. And Happy New Year to everyone -- hope you read many, many wonderful books this year! xoxo

24 comments:

  1. Excellent goals for the coming year! I'm going to try and read more of my own books too, as they've been awfully neglected lately. Good luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexia! I know, I'm SO bad for not reading the books on my shelves, "neglected" is the perfect word to describe how they feel!

      Delete
  2. These are great goals and sound very doable! I too want to try and read more of the books I already own, especially ones I bought months or years ago that I was so excited to read and then forgot about. Poor books :(

    Ah yes...Shantaram! How's that one coming along?? And you should definitely read Outlander! I loved it when I first read it over 10 years ago and keep meaning to go back and re-read it along with the rest of the series.

    Good luck! Even if you can't blog as frequently when babe comes, don't be a stranger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brie! Yes, let's keep each other motivated to read the books that we already own =)

      I was really enjoying Shantaram. It's different, and definitely more epic than all the YA that I've been reading lately. Slowly working my way down my library stack, and hoping to get back to it soon.

      And don't worry -- we won't be strangers, even if my blogging slows down. We're Facebook friends now too, remember? =)

      Delete
  3. New follower here. great list. I agree with every point you made. Feel free to come by and View My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! I'm popping over to your blog now to say hello =)

      Delete
  4. First time reader here and enjoyed reading your post. Will have to return to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read more ADULT books, too. I spent almost all my time reading YA. Good idea.

    Good luck.

    Anne @ My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hey? I have OODLES of unread adult books ... that I've been planning to read for YEARS. 2013 is the year!

      Delete
  6. I am so with you on #4! Well, all of them really. But I need to be okay with letting my blog go and just posting and reading when I can. I haven't even set a reading goal for myself. :) I don't want to see it when I log on to Goodreads lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* I probably shouldn't have bothered either ... Goodreads is already telling me that I'm a book behind =P

      Delete
  7. This list is great! I especially love #5, since I plan on doing the same. Good luck with your goals :D

    My Bookish/Blogger Goals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm popping over to check out your post now =)

      Delete
  8. #4 is a big one for me. I'm always trying to embrace no pressure/low pressure blogging without guilt. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if this month is any indication, I think I'm slowing getting better at being okay with my lack of posting =P

      Delete
  9. Reading books I already own... I need to do that... *glances guiltily at TBR BOOKCASE*

    www.katlovesbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year to you too, Melissa. Here's to a fantastic year of reading great writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow I didn't even make a resolutions post. That's how bad I've been neglecting my blog for the past two weeks and I realize it's okay! No need to stress. I'm also guilty of not reading more of the books I own instead of just review books :(

    Great resolutions! I hope you get to do them all, Melissa!

    ---
    Giselle @ Book Nerd
    Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Giselle! I wish you luck with your resolutions as well, even if you didn't make them official in a post =P We can always aspire to improve as readers and bloggers, right?

      Delete
  12. These are some really great goals, Melissa! I also set my goal for books to read as lower than the number books I actually read last year. While mine isn't due to a baby on the way, it's more about the fact that I don't want to be so caught up and stressed about the number of books I've got to read to meet my goal. I want to slow down, enjoy what I'm reading and not feel pressured to go crazy and read fast just to meet a certain quota.

    As I know you've seen since I've mentioned it like a million times on my blog recently, I'm also really trying to conquer my TBR and books owned pile this year, too. It's just gotten really out of control! While I will probably still visit the library, I do want to chill on buying books. I know I won't be able to stop completely, but I do want to pause and think about if I'm really going to read a book immediately before I buy it. Hopefully that will help me get my book spending under control!

    I also like your resolution about reading more adult books. Prior to blogging, I actually really only read adult books. That drastically changed just because I started seeing so much more about YA books, but I'm hoping to achieve a little more balance this year (as well as reading some more classics).

    And yay for finding your blogging groove! After taking such a long break last year, you should know I'm all about no stress and no pressure when it comes to how often I post.

    PS - Baby will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah -- thanks for such a wonderfully thoughtful comment! You're such an all-star =)

      I totally agree with everything that you said though ... I don't think I ever realized how much of a learning experience blogging would be, but I truly have learned a lot over the past year and a half. I think you really said it well when you posted your come-back post: blogging should really be about what YOU want to do, not what others expect. And that's been a good eye opener for me too, especially when it comes to reading some older books that I've had on my shelves for years, rather than always lusting after the new releases.

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs