12/9/12

WEverb [9]


Estelle & Magan @ Rather Be Reading (one of my ALL TIME favourite blogs) are participating in WEverb this year.  According to the website, WEverb is a series of questions and prompts that allows you to reflect back on 2012 and look forward to 2013.  Each day in December, there's a new prompt.

9. triumph [CREATE]:  How were you challenged by a project or goal this year?  What did you learn from it?

I work in a busy property management office as an administrative assistant.  I assist five property managers, and have always helped a more senior administrative assistant with her work when she gets super busy.  At the beginning of this year, I started to feel like the other admin assistant was taking advantage of me, and giving me things that she didn't have the patience to do, or just didn't feel like doing, rather than because she actually needed the help.  It seemed like the mindless projects, or directives that made no sense, were the things that were landing on my desk, and I could hear her giggling to another co-worker about the fact that she'd given the work to me to do.  Finally, I got to the point where I'd had enough, and went and asked my boss if I could make a change to how my workload was organized.  It's a little difficult to understand, but basically some of my easier administrative tasks had been done by a girl with less seniority than I had, so that I would be able to help the girl with more seniority than me.  I proposed to my boss that I would prefer to do all of the admin work for my five managers myself, rather than giving some of my tasks to another girl and then taking on tasks from this senior admin girl.  My boss agreed with me, and I instigated the change.  The senior admin girl actually stopped talking to me for a while (without ever actually saying that she was angry that I wasn't helping her anymore), but it all eventually worked itself out.  I found that it made my work day much more enjoyable to be in control of my own workload, rather than having tasks dictated to me by others.  I was also really proud of myself for approaching my boss and demanding that I be allowed to alter my work day and that I not be treated like a doormat by this other admin girl.  And, most recently, my boss has reorganized the admin department yet again so that two other girls are doing all of the admin work for their respective managers as well, which just shows that my industrious idea worked well enough that it became a basis for how our workloads are organized!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs