12/10/12

Top Ten New-to-Me Authors Read in 2012



It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is my favourite new-to-me authors that I read in 2012.  I read so many books by some amazing authors this year, some of which had been around for a while and I just hadn't discovered, but others were debut authors that positively blew my mind.  In no particular order, here goes...

1. Stephanie Perkins
I can't believe that I waited so long to read Anna & the French Kiss and Lola & the Boy Next Door.  Love, love, LOVED these books!  I was also super excited to see that Stephanie has a new book coming out next year; if I had realized that before, then it would have been included on my anticipated releases of 2013 list!

2. Courtney Summers
I am indebted to Magan @ Rather Be Reading for encouraging me to pick up my very first Courtney Summers book.  After I read, and loved, Some Girls Are, and devoured This is Not a Test, I am definitely planning to read her other two books.

3. Marie Lu
Legend was a sleeper hit for me, because I found the cover to be less than intriguing.  As soon as I found out that it was loosely based on the story of Les Mis, and heard Jaime @ The Perpetual Page Turner gushing over the story, I knew that I would love it.  And I did.

4. Morgan Matson
There are no words to describe how much I loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and Second Chance Summer.  Well, there are, but I've already used them in my reviews.

5. Lauren DeStefano
I read both Wither and Fever this year, and absolutely loved the world that Lauren created in these books.  It never ceases to amaze me how she can make something so cruel and terrible seem so beautiful.

6. Marissa Meyer
Cinder was a great read, and I have very high hopes for Scarlet's release next year -- some of my favourite bloggers have already been gushing over the book, so I'm sure that I won't be disappointed.

7. Laini Taylor
I was pleasantly surprised by Daughter of Smoke & Bone.  It was more fantasy-based than what I usually read, but Laini's writing style was so poetic and beautiful that I got swept up in the story.  I'm still waiting for my copy of Days of Blood & Starlight to come in at the library, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be impressed.

8. Kristen Simmons
As you will read in my review, I read Article 5 in one day while on a bus trip to visit one of my best friends for her 30th birthday.  It was THAT GOOD.

9. Brodi Ashton
Everneath taught me that sometimes it's good to judge a book by its cover.  I picked this one up based on the gorgeous cover and, with no idea what the book was about, proceeded to be swept away by the magical story contained inside.

10. R.J. Palacio
I have a feeling that every recap post for 2012 is going to contain a reference to Wonder.  Seriously, this book is my all-time favourite read of 2012.  It's middle grade, but it is SO GOOD.  You should read it.  Seriously.

All of the links above will take you to my reviews of these books, just in case you'd like to visit any of my reviews of these titles.

What authors have you discovered this year?  Leave me a link to your post and I'll stop by to visit!

8 comments:

  1. Laini Taylor is on my MUST READ list - I haven't read The Daughter of Smoke and Bone yet, but I'm thinking I should try it before the end of they year!

    Stop by and see my Top Ten New {to me} Authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie Lu and Marissa Meyer are on my list too. I haven't read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Wither, This is not a test, Article 5, or Everneath yet despite owning them. I hope to get to them in the near future.

    My TTT post

    Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa Meyer! Ahh, Cinder was sooooo good! I can't wait for the next books in the series. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved Anna and the French Kiss! I'm hoping to read Lola and the Boy Next Door soon. Stephanie Perkins is an amazing writer.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody loves Anna & the French kiss, I feel like a weirdo, because it didn't blow me away.. I did love Cinder! :) A lot.

    The other names you've mentioned are great authors or authors I have on my wish list :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would say that Anna blew me away -- it was a good story, loveable characters and a quick, easy read -- especially coming out of a reading slump too. I can't wait for Scarlet next year -- already heard great things from those who have read the ARC, so I know it's gonna be good!

      Delete
  6. I read Cinder and Daughter of Smoke and Bone this year too! Great list! Here's Ours

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs