9/24/12

Top Ten Series I Haven't Finished Yet

It's Tuesday, and time for another Top Ten Tuesday post, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is a great one, because I have many, many series that I've started and just not found the time to finish yet.

1. The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa
I read the first book, liked it, but borrowed the next book in amidst a HUGE stack of library books, so had to return it to the library unread.

2. Nightshade Series by Andrea Cremer
I listened to the first book on audio, and have the second two books on my shelves ... but haven't found the time to finish this trilogy just yet.  The only reason that I didn't love the first book was because of the audiobook narrator, which I know won't be a factor in books 2 and 3 ... but yet I haven't gotten around to reading these just yet.

3. Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning
Again, I listened to the first two books on audio and haven't progressed much further.  But they're good!

4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
I read the first book, and thought it was okay, so I'm undecided on whether or not to keep reading.  I've heard some reviewers gush over the series, and some said that it gets really good in books two or three ... so maybe I'll give it a shot?

5. Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth
I know, I know ... Insurgent is STILL sitting on my bookshelf, where it has been since May!

6. Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
My husband bought me Clockwork Prince for CHRISTMAS, and I haven't read it yet.

7. The Luxe Series by Anna Godbersen
I love the covers on these books, and would love to spend a day in this era just so that I can wear a dress like that.  I read the first two (or maybe three?) books in the series, and I think I only have one or two books left to read, but I got distracted with other books.

8. Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
I started reading this series based on a Goodreads friend's recommendation -- liked book one but, again, just haven't bothered to pick up the next book in the series just yet.

9. Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris
I've read the first two books, and I have heard that the books are even better than the TV show, which is good because I'm a bit bored of the television show.  Maybe it's time to head back to the series?

10. Inkheart Series by Cornelia Funke
I read Inkheart YEARS ago, and absolutely loved it.  I have Inkspell sitting on my shelf, but I think that I'm almost afraid that I'll have to read Inkheart again before I read Inkspell (and it's a long book!) so I haven't read on just yet.

There are also several series that I've given up on based on their length (i.e. Pretty Little Liars) because the series just goes on and on and on with no definite end.  The perfect series, in my opinion, is a trilogy.  I find it easier to keep going through a trilogy than a series with no definite end, which is probably why a few of these series (especially the long ones like Sherrilyn Kenyon's books) have sat unread for so long.  With so many good books out there, I'm afraid to devote so much time to just one writer and one storyline.

I also find it challenging when I've read one book in the series ages ago, but haven't read on.  I almost feel like I'd need to reread the previous book before continuing on in the series (this is probably another reason why both Insurgent and Clockwork Prince are sitting unread on my shelves -- I don't remember what happened in the first book!!)

What about you?  What series have you started, but not finished?  Leave me a link to your post and I'll stop by to visit!

16 comments:

  1. You must continue Fever! I was literally just thinking about that series today, and how I really want to re-read it already!

    Vampire Academy is really good, too. My favorites are books 4 and 5.

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally will -- I'm downloading the next book on audio as I type! Writing this post just reminded me of how many series I have to finish =)

      I've heard that VA gets better as the series goes, so I may have to give this one a try at some point.

      Delete
  2. I'm having such series fatigue these days - and looking at your list makes me tired! But that's because I've never picked up a book from 9 of the series you mention, and that means I haven't been reading as much as I like to think I have... *le sigh*

    Thanks for sharing - it IS a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've even read a few that I THOUGHT were stand-alones, only to find out at the end that it was book 1 of a trilogy *sigh* It seems like everything is a multi-part series these days, which makes it hard to avoid them!

      Delete
  3. I'm notorious for not finishing series of books. I think I've only finished 2 series, ever. Hunger Games and Harry Potter. Both because of my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, those are two of the best series of all time (in my humble opinion) so I would say that you did well!

      Delete
  4. This is why I tend not to read series - it's so hard to keep up! If I do read a series, I tend to wait until a whole series is out. I hate not remembering the last book once the next one comes out and there are too many books to read to always be rereading the series over.

    Haha, that being said - the only series I've read from your list is the Sookie Stackhouse series. I read the first 9 back-to-back and then was like "enough!". I enjoyed them at the time, but the writing I found a little hokey and it was hard to keep the storyline and characters straight (and I read them in a row!). I definitely have no desire to continue with the series anymore. They ARE a quick read though, if you do decide to pick them up! Did you like the first two? There was definitely more "sexy-times" in the first book lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Brie -- it is SO much easier to just wait until they're all published! I have such a terrible memory for books too, and always feel like I spend the first 50 pages or so struggling to remember what happened in the previous book(s). Thank goodness for synopses online, which have helped me out a few times!

      I did enjoy the first two Sookie Stackhouse books, but I think that I was constantly comparing them to the TV show (and they're still pretty similar at that point). I'm definitely going to give the series another go, especially since I picked up the next five books a few months ago and they're sitting unread on my shelves. The TV show started to bore me, so I'm hoping that the books will be better.

      Delete
    2. I have yet to watch True Blood yet, but I own the first season so it's just a matter of scheduling it in to all my other tv shows on the go!

      Delete
    3. I've watched the first three seasons, but I got tired of it (and, I also have multiple other seasons on the go, so I opted to give up). I have a couple of coworkers who get HBO and they're watching the newest season, but the reviews seem to be just so-so.

      Delete
  5. I still need to START the Vampire Academy series. I feel like i'm really missing out based on some of my bffs love for it. ALSO I read Nightshade and didn't LOVE it but will probs continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to like VA so, so much, and I'm still hopeful that the rest of the series will be better than the first one. I'm totally with you on Nightshade too; didn't love it as much as I had hoped I would, but still planning to finish the series ... one of these days =P

      Delete
  6. I have a few too, but really you NEED to read the Divergent books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to start the Fever series. I've read a the first book and half of the second. I just can't make myself read the rest (even though I want to) because Henry marries the 'bad' one (can't remember her name) and I want him and Diana together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inkheart was great! What a story! I still have to read the rest of the series. If you feel you need to read the first one again before reading the rest- you may want to try the audio. I found it very well done and it may save you some time (if you listen while driving or something like that).

    Great post!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first three books of the Vampire Academy series are really good. It kind of goes down after that. But I guess you should give it a try. Read the second book and then decide. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs