9/7/12

TGIF [16] - September 7


Happy Friday Everyone!

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads. This week's question is: Recommend a Genre: Pick a book from contemporary, fantasy, paranormal and/or dystopia to recommend to your blog followers!

I didn't used to be much of a dystopian reader, until I read The Hunger Games.  Then, it seemed like I ended up on a bit of a dystopian binge, so much so that I've had to force myself to read something different in between dystopians, just so that the books don't blend into one another and lose their appeal.

I read Julianna Baggot's Pure earlier this year and LOVED IT.  I was a little apprehensive, based on the extremely mixed reviews on Goodreads, but this book absolutely blew me away (my full review is here).  Basically this book has elements of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, but written in a style that reminded me of Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone.  The events of the book are loosely based on a fictional recreation of the bombing of Hiroshima, and what the aftermath would have been like if people were fused to whatever they'd been holding or standing close to when the bomb detonated.  The Pures are those who were "lucky" enough to be moved into the Dome before the bomb went off.  While there are certain parts of the book that totally made me squirm (especially the descriptions of inanimate objects fused to people), it was a good squirm that kept me reading.  And the lyrical quality of the writing is so captivating that the almost 500 pages just flew by.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the next book, Fuse, will entail.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I just read Pure-I loved it! I got it hardcover on sale at B&N- 6 bucks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! The second book comes out soon ... I think it's called Fuse? Totally looking forward to that one.

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs