7/10/12

Top Ten Unread Books on My Bookshelf

It's Tuesday (well, for another couple of hours at least) and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  I've been off the computer and out of the blogging zone for the past few days, but lost in the world of City of Lost Souls.  It's been a while since I've been captivated enough by a book to step away from the computer for a while, but since the sun has FINALLY made its summer appearance on the We(s)t Coast, it's been pretty nice to have some outdoor reading time too!

This week is a freebie week and I have chosen to look at the dustiest end of my TBR list -- those books that I bought YEARS ago that, sadly, sit on my shelf unread in amongst the pile of shiny new books.  In no particular order, here goes...

1. The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood
I LOVE Margaret Atwood.  Love her.  A coworker recommended this book to me when I worked at Bolen Books and I'm pretty sure I've owned it since then.  But have I read it yet?  Most certainly not.

2. The Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella
I've read everything else she's written, including all the Shopaholic books and her other stand-alones.  But this one's been sitting on my shelf for years, just waiting.

3. The Other Boleyn Girl - Phillipa Gregory
I love historical fiction, even though I haven't read much of it.  I honestly can't even remember who recommended this book to me, but I picked up a copy and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since.  And it's supposed to be a really, really good story too.

4. We Were the Mulvaneys - Joyce Carol Oates
I read, and loved, Foxfire in university, and heard that this book was unbelievable.  Plus, Oprah put her sticker on the front and she always puts her sticker on the good books.  AND the description makes it sound like a heartbreaking story, which almost guarantees that I'll love it.

5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
In my defense, this isn't MY book, it's my husband's copy.  He read it and loved it, and has been encouraging me to read it for a few years now.

6. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
I think that I need to go on a "big books that I've been putting off" binge.  The last few years, I've been more focused on how many books I've read per year (darn you, Goodreads challenges!).  Maybe next year I can aim for page numbers, and knock some of these unread monsters off my TBR list.  This one came highly recommended by one of my best friends -- and sits near Shantaram, recommended to me recently by my boss. *sigh*

7. Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
This is another one that my hubby read and loved, and has been pestering me to read it since we first moved in together ... seven years ago.

8. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
This is another one that was recommended to me by a former bookstore coworker, but I still haven't read it.  I LOVED Haroun & the Sea of Stories though, so I'm sure that I'll enjoy this one too.

9. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
I feel like this book has made an appearance on another list or two, and this is the next book for my TBR Intervention.

10. Tess of the d'Ubervilles - Thomas Hardy
I worked one summer in upstate New York and one of my colleagues, who was studying English, raved about this book.  I picked up a copy but, after studying so many classics in university, I still haven't quite motivated myself to read one for pleasure.  But I should, I really, really should.

And that's my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week -- a little more adult than my usual YA fare, but it's good to mix things up every now and then, right?  Please feel free to leave me a link to your post in the comments and I'll stop by to visit!

12 comments:

  1. Hi! I tried Atlas Shrugged and Midnight's Children, but found them to require more patience than I was willing to give haha. BUT I do want to finish Tess of the D'Urbervilles one day. I watched the miniseries again over the weekend and still love the story so much :D

    Oh! And The Other Boleyn Girl is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always my problem too -- big books take such dedication and patience =P But I will give them a shot one of these days. And thanks for the enthusiasm on The Other Boleyn Girl -- I think I recall seeing it on your favourites shelf =)

      Delete
  2. OMG I adore Tess of the D'Ubervilles, it's not really a classic that you see on many peoples favourite lists and Margaret Atwood is good, my fav of hers is The Handmaid's Tale.
    Old Follower
    http://www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/top-ten-tuesday-most-ocd-book-habits.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Handmaid's Tale too! Thanks for your recommendation of Tess; I definitely plan to read it one of these days. I'm heading to check out your post now!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read The Robber Bride yet, although I should probably get round to it at some point as I love so many other Margaret Atwood books! I really enjoyed One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, I read it as an undergrad and it was definitely one of the course books that stayed with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband read it in university too; I'll have to remember to ask him. I've loved almost all of the Atwood books that I've read, so I'm sure that Robber Bride will be a new favourite once I get around to it.

      Delete
  4. The Undomestic Goddess is quite hilarious. I adore Sophie Kinsella's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to dive into that one this summer -- it seems like a good lighthearted summer read =)

      Delete
  5. I read The Other Boelyn Girl while my husband and I were moving from Texas to California four years ago. It would be my turn to drive and I loathed having to stop reading. That was four years ago, and I think my reading taste has changed a bit, but I think I'd still really like the story. I kept telling my husband about all the drama and kept him entertained, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote in favour of The Other Boleyn Girl! When my hubby and I road trip, he does all the driving, but we pick a book for me to read aloud during the drive. This way we get to enjoy the story together =) But I don't think the Boleyn Girl would be his cup of tea -- we're currently working on a book of Stephen King's short stories.

      Delete
  6. Great books -) I still haven't read any of these, but at least half of them are on my shelf waiting to be read, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to stop buying books, and borrowing them from the library, and just get through the ones that are already on my shelf =) Such problems we have, eh?

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs