7/20/12

TGIF [9] - July 20


Happy Friday Everyone!

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads.  This week's topic is: Throwback TGIF: Pick a previous question you posted on your blog in the past & revisit your answer. Has it changed since then?  Since I haven't been participating in TGIF for that long, I thought I'd cheat a little and choose a TGIF question that I've missed along the way...

Required Reading: Which book from your school days 
do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now 
that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?
 
Most of the books that I read for school are ones that I don't remember loving or disliking.  As an avid reader (my nose was ALWAYS in a book), I loved English class and would eagerly read any book for any novel study.  I liked them all, but no book stuck with me as much as To Kill a Mockingbird.  Most of the novel studies that I'd done in school were assigned by the teacher, and the only time we'd had free choice was when we did an individual book report.  My Grade 10 English teacher gave us a list of novels to choose from and then assigned us a reader's response journal with super fun writing topics, so we could all read different novels, but still do the same assignment.  I picked To Kill a Mockingbird and then ended up off school for a few days with a cold.  I remember curling up on the couch with the book, completely ignoring the daytime TV that I could usually indulge in while I was at home and both parents were at work, and instead lost myself in the story.  The book is, to this day, still one of my absolute favourites.  Although I'd like to reread it at some point, I'm a little nervous to see what I'll think of it as an adult, in case the magic isn't there the second time.

I'm going to shamelessly plug R.J. Palacio's Wonder (for more gushing, feel free to read my full review here).  I am incredibly passionate about anti-bullying and it breaks my heart whenever I hear about a child being bullied in school.  I fully believe that, if this book were to be required reading at school, no one would even be able to consider bullying anyone else.  August's story touches the reader so completely and profoundly that words can scarcely describe the impact that is felt after savouring the final pages of this novel.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK.  NOW.

What was your favourite required reading in school?  Leave me a link to your post and I'll stop by to visit!  

2 comments:

  1. Melissa -- I have another book for you to be on the lookout for re: bullying. Look for Speechless by Hannah Harrington. If I'm remembering correctly, it's an August release and wow. So incredibly well written. I adore her writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so dangerous for my TBR list! But thanks for the recommendation -- you're on a winning streak so far, and I expect that this one will wow me as well! Hugs!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs