6/25/12

Top Ten Characters Who Remind Me Of Myself Or Someone I Know In Real Life

Happy Tuesday Everyone!  It's time for another great Top Ten Tuesday hosted, as always, by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is a little challenging: Top Ten Characters Who Remind Me Of Myself Or Someone I Know In Real Life.  So, without further ado, here goes...

Five Characters that Remind Me Of Myself

1. Sheila in The Unicorn Chronicles (Various Writers).  I can't say for SURE that this character reminds me of myself, since I haven't read the series in YEARS, but I do know that I read and reread and reread this series when I was younger, and dreamed that I could escape to a world filled with unicorns, just like Sheila did.  I recently found the first three books at a used bookstore.  I have contemplated re-reading them, yet I'm also scared that they won't live up to the magic of my childhood.  Perhaps I'll wait and discover them again with my children one day.

2. Emily in the Emily of New Moon series (L.M. Montgomery).  One of my favourite book bloggers (Hannah @ So Obsessed With) is currently re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series.  While I have much love for Anne (umm... my middle name is because of her!), I love Emily just that little bit more.  She's a writer, like me, and I just connected with her SO MUCH when I read the books the summer after Grade 11, then saw the play on Prince Edward Island the summer after Grade 12.  It's the only time I've had the gut-wrenching sob experience from a stage play (think The Notebook, but messier).

3. Bastian in The Neverending Story (Michael Ende).  Yes, I know that he's a boy, and I'm a girl, but his bullying experiences touched my heart.  And I longed for a book that I could literally escape into and disappear for a while.

4. Awake & Dreaming (Kit Pearson).  I connected with so many of Kit Pearson's characters when I was younger, but none more so than Theo.  The book is set in my hometown of Victoria and, although I haven't lived through the same things as Theo, her dreamlike quality of wishing her stories into real life was another literary element that I wished could be part of my own reality.

5. Hermione from Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling).  I'm sure that Hermione is going to show up on a few lists -- she's bookish, she's smart, she's pretty -- isn't there a little of Hermione in all of us?!?

Five Characters that Remind Me of People I Know

1. My husband - Henry in The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger).  No, he didn't travel through time to meet me when I was a child, but I was reading this book when we first started dating.  Although I was immediately smitten with him, I did wonder if our eight-year age gap was too much.  In the book, Henry is eight years older than Clare -- and if it works in literature, it works just fine in real life too!

2. My sister: Frances in Fall On Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald). My sister hasn't got up to quite the caliber of misdeeds that Frances does in this book, but the impulsive acting-before-she-thinks aspect of Frances is present in my sister's personality for sure =)

3. One of my best friends, R: The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver).  I can't think if there's a character that actually reminds me of her, but R is a phenomenal woman who has also travelled to Africa to do missionary work.  She loves this book as much as I do =)

4. One of my other best friends, L: The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy). Again, I can't think of a specific character, but L loves this book so, so much.  And she loves with the same kind of passion that is found in this book.

5. My sister-in-law: Marianne in The Gargoyle (Andrew Davidson).  If you've ever heard her tell a story, you'll understand the connection.  Plus, she fell in love with this book even more than I did.  And, although her angel wings aren't physically tattoed on her body, they're definitely still there.

Well, that actually wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be!  I hope that you enjoyed my list, and please leave me a link to your post so that I can stop by and visit!

6 comments:

  1. Emily and Anne! I felt such a special connection to Emily of New Moon through the book and TV show when I was younger. I also grew up with Anne of Green Gables... I could probably go on and on about those two if you let me. I recently read another of LM Montgomery's books, The Blue Castle, and the character of Valancy reminds me of myself now that I think of it... I just love all of the author's characters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have a copy of the Blue Castle, but I've never read it! Thanks for the recommendation =) I love gushing about childhood favourites -- so you can just go on and on all you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you really thought about your selections and yes I think there is a little Hermione in anyone who loves to read. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and your super-sweet comment! I'll be stopping by to check out your post too!

      Delete
  4. This is a great list Melissa! Hermione definitely ended up on my list as well and I love the insightful comments you made on each of your selections!(:

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your thoughtful comment! I shall be stopping by your list momentarily, especially if you're a little like Hermione too =)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs