4/22/12

Blood Red Road - Moira Young

There's nothing that I love more than serendipitous book recommendations.  I put this book on hold at the library, and it arrived at the same time that I saw a rave review on GoodReads, where the reviewer nailed it when she said that she was hesitant about reading this book because it looked like a Western.  I thought "Yes!" because that's EXACTLY what made me hesitate reading this book in the first place -- there was just something about the book that kinda reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, the one book in my life that made me want to vomit.  But it could have been because I was forced to read it as part of the worst university English class that I ever took.

So, moving on to serendipitous moment #2.  After I return home from the library, I receive a personal message on GoodReads from a former co-worker/Guiding friend/family friend/all-around wonderful person who suggested that, since I've been on a dystopian kick as of late, I might like this book.  How coincidental!  I had literally just picked it up at the library.

I'm also currently reading Dear Bully, but that book is just so crazy intense that I can't read more than a couple of pages at a time; therefore, I decided to start a second book (and this is completely unlike me).  Blood Red Road did not disappoint and, I'm sorry to say, I haven't read ANY of Dear Bully in the last few days, since I've had my nose buried in Blood Red Road.

The first thing that I will mention is that the style of writing in this book is very unique.  If you pick this one up, do NOT be put off by the fact that the characters speak in a uneducated, backwoods type of English.  I found myself reading it aloud for a little bit (while hubby looked at me strangely) until I got the hang of the writing style.  And, I've got to say, Moira Young is freakin' BRILLIANT for being able to write like this.  It must have been very challenging to make all of the character's speech just right.

I've already added the second book to my TBR list on GoodReads, and have noticed quite a few people critiquing the cover of the second book because it has a quote on the cover that says that this series is "better than the Hunger Games."  While I agree that it's not always beneficial to pitch one series against one another (and I don't know how many books that were supposed to "better than Harry Potter" just were NOT), I also feel that this book is in the same caliber as Hunger Games.  It has that same, heart-pounding, thrilling action feel and characters that you cheer for.  I was sad when I finished the last page, but also excited that the adventure will continue in another book.  And, at 459 pages, this is one of the lengthier YA books that I've read in a while.  It's good sometimes to have more pages to really get into the story before it all comes to an end.

And, final serendipitous moment -- when I finished the book and read the author's bio on the inside of the back cover... she's CANADIAN.  Oh yeah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs