3/18/12

Nightshade - Andrea Cremer

My lovely friend Evie gave me books 2 and 3 in this series and highly recommended that I start with the first book.  I found it on Library to Go (free audiobooks from the library!!) and have been listening to it on my drive to and from work for the past couple of weeks.

First of all, the narrator's voice irritated me a little.  This is one of the things that can make or break an audio book, in my opinion, and I found that this narrator's voice overemphasized things, making everything Calla said seem over dramatic and exaggerated.  This especially annoyed me whenever Ren or Shay is touching her or near her -- or are teenage hormones really that over the top?  Since I don't have the print copy, I can't find specific examples, but Calla's reaction to both boys' advances just seemed exaggerated to me.

On the positive side, the storyline is a really unique take on werewolves (although, in the book they're Guardians).  I especially liked the fact that they're human and wolf at the same time, so when they shift from human to wolf and back again, they're still wearing their clothes -- it seems logical and practical.  As with any first book in a series, the storyline is just getting going in book one, which makes it difficult to judge how the entire series is going to play out.  There were a few things that annoyed me about this book, especially Calla's character, but I'm hoping that she'll be less annoying in book two once I can imagine her voice in my head instead of hearing the narrator's voice.

And finally, the cover above is the cover for the audio version that I downloaded, but the cover below is the cover that defaulted on GoodReads.  I can't decide which one I like best, since both covers seem to perfectly complement the storyline.  Usually, I only post the cover for the version that I read, but I'm making an exception in this case, since both covers are so beautiful.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your site and read your review of Nightshade. I hear it's awesome and you just proved it to be right. I can't wait to read it now!
    ---
    Giselle from booknerd.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review I really have to read this series I've heard amazing things about it and it sounds unique but too bad about the narrator. I'Ll most likely feel the same way!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! These books look interesting! I really, really love your blog. It's brilliant and I am a new follower!

    Jessica from Booked Up!
    www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs