3/22/12

Bunheads - Sophie Flack

Sophie Flack's debut novel, Bunheads, is the perfect example of that timeless writer's mantra: write what you know.  I'll be honest and admit that I wasn't expecting brilliance when I started reading this book.  After reading the author's bio, I was a little skeptical that a former ballet dancer would have what it took to create a captivating story.  After all, there's no doubt that she knows about dance, but I was uncertain that this knowledge of dance would transfer to a mastery of storytelling.

By ten pages in, I was impressed.  Bunheads (which I still can't say aloud without giggling), is a charming story and it held my attention from the beginning of the book right until the satisfying conclusion.  It was a little predictable at times, but in a good way.  Hannah, the narrator of the story, struggles with her desire to excel at ballet and succeed in the company, while also wondering if the world of ballet is enough for her and if she's willing to give up everything else that the world has to offer in exchange for her dream.  Hannah's charming and likeable and I found myself cheering her on as I flipped eagerly through the pages.

I read a review on GoodReads that said that Bunheads was like Black Swan, without the darkness.  I would agree with that statement to a point, but also say that Bunheads is really quite different.  At their cores, both stories are about the challenges associated with being a part of the world of ballet, but Bunheads is light-hearted and fun when it needs to be, as well as thoughtful and reflective when the storyline requires a moment of seriousness.  And Sophie Flack does know how to write, and writes very well.  I'm looking forward to seeing what she does next!

3 comments:

  1. Great review - I really liked this one and hope Sophie Flack sticks to writing, would definitely be interested in reading more by her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book recently and really cannot wait to read it! I am so excited to be in the world of dance. I love that you think it's beautifully written. That always excites me. I also love it when I'm hooked from the beginning. I've been a reading slump with lots of "eh" books lately, so maybe I'll pick this up next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw on Twitter that you've finished it and loved it too! I agree, it's so hard when you're in a reading slump, but it always feels SO GOOD when a book picks you back up! Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one and I'm looking forward to reading your review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs