2/27/12

Top Ten Bookish Theme Songs

It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, brought to you by The Broke & The Bookish (I always feel like Sesame Street when I write that ... brought to you by the letter B!)  This week is a super fun list: Top Ten Theme Songs I'd Given a Theme Song To!  Since I love music almost as much as I love reading, I've given this one a LOT of thought.  The concept was a little overwhelming to begin with, so I've started with my list of Top Ten Books that Made Me Cry and then assigned songs to those titles.  Along with depressing book, I also love heartbreaking music -- kind of ironic, since I am a very upbeat, happy person!

1. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Kate DiCamillo
This song lifts my heart and always makes me feel good, just like the story of Edward Tulane does.  I love driving in the sunshine with the sunroof open and this song CRANKED on the stereo.



2. Before I Wake - Rob Weirsema

Qu'il y ait toujours le soleil - Charlotte Diamond.  This might seem silly, but this is one of my favourite childhood songs.  Since the story centres around a little girl who's in a coma after being hit by a car, it seemed fitting to assign a children's song, but one with a message of hope.  I couldn't find a video on YouTube, but here are the English lyrics:

May there always be sunshine
May there always be blue sky
May there always be mama
May there always be me

3. The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen
The Dog Days Are Over - Florence + the Machine.   Running is a integral part of this story, and this song is one of my favourite running songs.  How can you not just run your heart out to those drums?



4. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston.  This love story is like no other -- a love that can transcend anything.  So it's fitting that it should have one of the most beautiful love songs as its theme song, right?



5. White Oleander - Janet Fitch
Not As We - Alanis Morrissette.  At first, I wanted one of Alanis' angry songs for this book, since Astrid goes through so much heartache in this book.  But then I realized that the perfect song is Not As We, off her newest CD.  Throughout the book, Astrid is learning how to identify as herself, and not part of her mother.  Plus, I'd never seen the video before compiling this Top Ten -- I think I want to live in that house!



6. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
Closer - Kings of Leon.  This was the book that I struggled the most with trying to find just the right song.  I love Kings of Leon, and have seen them in concert twice.  Whenever they play this song, I just have shivers from head to toe.  So I decided that it would be perfect for the Harry Potter book that gave me the same sensations.


7. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
Everywhere I Go - Lissie.  This song gives me chills, just like the story did.  This version isn't the official video at all, but the creator put together an absolutely gorgeous collection of images.



8. The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
Looking In - Mariah Carey.  Although I loved the adventure and the fantasy in this book, the fact that Bastian is tormented by his peers and literally escapes into a book is what made me love this book beyond all others.  At 10, when I read this book, I struggled with the same issues as Bastian, which is why I sobbed when the book was over, wanting my own Neverending Story to escape into, rather than facing my peers at school.  I discovered this song by Mariah Carey in junior high, after I'd left that part of me behind in elementary school, and it hit home so hard that I copied the lyrics out into my journals and listened to the song on repeat many, many times.  It's still one of my favourites of all time.  And a note -- tomorrow is "Wear Pink" for anti-bullying.  I'll have my pink shirt on, and I hope many of you will as well!



9. Fall on Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald
Ave Maria - Celine Dion.  I first read this book in university and did a group presentation for the course.  Music is such a central theme of the book, so our group incorporated music as our transitions between the sections of our presentation (the presentation was an entire class, so it was about an hour long).  This is the song that we played at the end of the presentation, after which the only sound in the room was my teacher sniffling.  Needless to say, we received a really good mark =)



10. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
 Daughters - John Mayer.  This is such a pretty song (I love John Mayer!) and talks about mothers and daughters and sisters, which is what this book is really about.


I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.  I think that this is my favourite Top Ten Tuesday of all time!  Leave me a comment and I'll stop by and visit your blog as well!

5 comments:

  1. I tried to find a song for a Sarah Dessen book and found it impossible, but you found an awesome one for my favorite of her books -- The Truth About Forever! Love it with Dog Days are Over.

    Also, Lissie + Before I Fall? PERRRRFECTTT. OMG. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fun choices -- love the Celine & Mariah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE the combo of Dog Days & The Truth About Forever. I'm a total Dessen fangirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choice for HP6 - everyone needs more songs (and books) that give them the shivers!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs