2/7/12

Top 10 Books I'd Hand to Someone Who Says They Don't Like to Read

It's Tuesday, and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's Top Ten is those books that I would hand to someone who says they don't like to read.

For this top ten, I'll go with the ten books that I couldn't put down and devoured in either a day, or only a couple of days.  Stories as addicting as these ones will surely transform non-readers into readers, right?

1. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
All of Picoult's books are equally good, but this was the first one of hers that I read and I'm pretty sure that I read the whole thing in one day.  Her stories are well-written and the plot just grabs you from page one.

2. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
I tried so hard to slow down when I was reading this, but I ended up polishing it off in two days.  A-MAZING.

3. The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
Holocaust story told in an atypical fashion: narrated by Death himself and SO beautifully written.

4. The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson
The opening scene alone can transform a non-reader into a reader, as we are taken into the narrator's fiery car accident (note: not for weak stomachs!)  After that, you're hooked and in for a beautiful ride.

5. The Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King
When we first moved in together, my then-boyfriend, now-husband, recommended this book to me.  I was a skeptical King reader, but this book is like none of his others.  It was written for his young daughter, so there are princes, dragons and a story told as only King can.

6. Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling
Because this series turned so many non-readers into readers.

7. Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyer
Same as above.

8. The House of the Scorpion - Nancy Farmer
This book has it all: likeable characters with a struggle that will tug at your heart and action-filled pages.  This is another book that I read in one day and one that was suggested to me by my husband on our first day (he gives the BEST recommendations!)

9. White Oleander - Janet Fitch
This was the first "grown-up" book that I read, and it switched me off kids books and into the adult section.  Of course, I now read more YA than adult lit!

10. I have about 50 other books that I want to use as part of this list, but for the last book I will suggest The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon.
This book is a mystery, but it has such a human element to it that it's more than just a whodunnit.  I don't think that I really understood what autism was until I read this book, which is narrated by an autistic boy.

What books would YOU recommend to non-readers?

1 comments:

  1. I chose The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time too! Loved it, and gave it to someone who I know hardly ever reads recently, in the hope they'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs