2/21/12

Birthmarked - Caragh M. O'Brien

Birthmarked is a quiet, yet powerful, story of Gaia, a trained midwife.  Set in a dystopian society, where Gaia must "advance" the first three babies born each month, the advanced babies are given a better life within the walls of the Enclave.

After reflecting on this book, it's hard to put my finger on what was so mesmerizing about the story.  It's not fast-paced, but I couldn't put it down.  The characters were endearing and so REAL and the storyline was fluid and well-paced.  O'Brien's writing is effortless and the reader feels the emotions along with the characters, yet the storyline never feels forced.

I will definitely be reading the second book in the series, since I'm eager to find out what happens next!

(Sidenote: I was reading this book in the staff room and a coworker asked what it was about.  I hesitated, unsure of exactly how to describe the story.  Finally, I said "it's dystopian fiction."  Her response?  "Don't use such big words.  What is it about?"  I giggled to myself for a while afterwards.)

1 comments:

  1. I cried so much! I also had no idea what to write about it when I finished. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs