2/22/12

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys

Between Shades of Gray isn't an easy book to read, but it's a heartbreakingly beautiful story.  The story begins in Lithuania, when 15 year-old Lina's family is arrested by the Soviets and shipped to Siberia on a train.

There are so many stories about the Holocaust, each one portraying this horrific era of history from a slightly different perspective, but I have never read a book that told a story like Lina's.  Everyone knows the story of the persecution and genocide of the Jewish people under Hitler, but I really didn't know much about what life was like under Stalin until I read this book.

Lina has such a fresh voice and the story is told so well.  The chapters flow effortlessly and I only put the book down to wipe my eyes before returning to the story.  I don't know about any of you, but I remember feeling like my world had shifted somewhat after I read The Diary of Anne Frank for the first time at age 13.  Does anyone else remember feeling like that?  After I finished the book, I felt like the world would never quite be the same.  Between Shades of Gray is similar, yet slightly different than Anne's diary, but will leave you with the same sensation: the world won't quite be the same after you've seen it through Lina's eyes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs