1/24/12

Top Ten Books that Made Me Cry

Anyone who has browsed my GoodReads shelves may have noticed that I have a particular fondness for books that make me cry.  I love a good therapeutic sob (The Notebook!) and books that can evoke that much emotion are some of my favourites.  So, in no particular order, here are is this week's top ten (as always, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish).

1. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Kate DiCamillo
I sobbed the first time I read this book.  Then, I read it aloud to my husband while we were on a road trip to Alberta and I had to put the book down at the end because I couldn't see the page through the tears.  It had that same effect on me, even the second time through!

2. Before I Wake - Rob Weirsema
My mom gave me this book for Christmas one year, with a package of Kleenex wrapped seperately on top.  She told me that I'd need it.  And I did.

3. The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen
All of Sarah's books have had a similar effect on me, but this was the first one of hers that I read -- and I bawled at the end.

4. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
Oh -- that love story.  I tear up just thinking of it.

5. White Oleander - Janet Fitch
One of the most beautifully written books I have ever read.  I think the tears come almost just because of the writing itself, but the story is moving as well.

6. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
Don't try and tell me that you didn't cry at the end!  I think everyone did.

7. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
There are no words for how powerful this story is.

8. The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
When people ask me what my favourite book is, this is often the one that jumps to mind.  I remember reading it at the age of 10 and crying because the book was over.  I promptly flipped back to page 1 because I just couldn't handle the fact that the story had come to an end.

9. Fall on Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald
I think I've cried at the end all three times that I've read this book.

10. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
Just like Sarah Dessen's books, I've had a similar reaction to Jodi's other books, but this was the first one of hers that I read.

Since I love books that evoke strong emotions, please feel free to add to my list!  And thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

  1. I cried with Cedric's dad at the end of the Triwizard Tournament, and I think a person has to be half-dead not to get emotional at the end of the Half Blood-Prince. Also, I've watched the Neverending Story enough times to forget how many, and I've teared up every time.

    I've heard good things about The God of Small Things... I should probably give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I cried at the end of book six! It was just heart-breaking, wasn't it? :(

    Great list, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cedric's death was definitely the most shocking since, prior to then, it was a children's series. It was from that point onwards that the series became a little darker, but I loved how the books changed like that as the characters grew up.

    God of Small Things is AMAZING -- I read it for a course in university (one of the few school books that I truly adored!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *so*agree with Edgar Tulane! That book was heartrending. I loved it (especially the pictures), but it put me through the wringer. Same with White Oleander.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs