1/17/12

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read YA

It's Tuesday, and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke & The Bookish.  And this one is a FUN one -- recommending books!

I, like a lot of other people, love to read YA literature.  People at work quite often ask me what I'm reading when I have my nose buried in a book in the lunch room and, when I respond with "It's a young adult novel..." they usually respond with "Oh."  There is SO MUCH good YA lit out there, which appeals to people of all ages.  I just can't limit myself to only ten books, so I'm going to try to do this by authors instead...

1. Anything by Lauren Oliver.  Seriously.  Her books blow my mind.  Before I Fall instantly transported me back to high school.  My heart hurt while reading some of the scenes and I was moved to tears in several parts of the book.  And there are no words to describe how much I loved Delirium; how could a grown-up not love a book that ponders what the world would be like if we didn't love anymore?


2. Anything by Cassandra Clare.  Both the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices series are AWESOME.  There's love, heartbreak, werewolves, warlocks, vampires and great storylines.  Sure, it's not as raw as True Blood, but still pretty freakin' great.

3. Unwind by Neal Stephenson.  I haven't read his other books, so I can't use his complete works, but my sister-in-law is currently reading this book (which both my husband and I had recommended to her) and she's loving every minute of it.

4. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.  Just like Cassandra Clare, Collins writes such a heart-stopping story that you can't help but stay up all night reading!

5. Harry Potter.  I'm considering Harry Potter to be YA, simply because he's a teen in the latter part of the series and this part is the best part.  Need I say more?

6. Holes by Louis Sachar.  Again, I haven't read everything by Sachar, so I won't recommend his full body of work.  From what I've read, he's an excellent writer and all of his books are probably worth recommending.  Holes is, by far, one of the best books that I've read.  I read it for a YA lit course that I took at UVic and it blew my mind.  Such a great story!

7. Anything by Laurie Halse Anderson, although especially Speak and Catalyst.  She is AMAZING.

8. Anything by Nancy Farmer.  Another amazing writer and it's hard to pick just one of her books.  If I had to, I'd go with House of the Scorpion, although The Sea of Trolls is pretty good too.

9. Anything by Sarah Dessen.  Her books usually take place over the course a summer and feature a teenage girl coming of age.  Although it may seem like they are formulaic, each story is told with such honesty and heart that they always just remind me of what it felt like to fall in love as a teenager.  Of particular note are Just Listen and The Truth About Forever.

10. The final spot I will give to Markus Zusak's Book Thief.  I will read his other book, I Am the Messenger, shortly, but I loved the Book Thief so very, very much.  It's such a unique take on a typical Holocaust / WWII book and a must-read.

2 comments:

  1. New follower here! I agree with so many of your choices - Lauren Oliver, Laurie Halse Anderson, Dessen...good list! Here are my choices if you'd like to follow back: http://theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-10-tuesday-10-books-i-would.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must read The Cardturner by Louis Sachar! The Book Thief is on my HFIC for non-HFIC readers; love that book. I like to recommend everything by Scott Westerfeld and Michael Grant and Ally Carter and...oy, the lists go on and on! Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs