1/24/12

Perfect Fifths - Megan McCafferty

It was a bittersweet ending to this series.  I absolutely LOVED the first two books, really enjoyed the third book (after I thought about it for a while) and though the fourth book was pretty good.  I was looking forward to seeing if this series would end with a bang, but instead it kind of ended with a ... feeble pop.

Jessica Darling has such a strong, independent voice in the first three books.  But in the last two, her voice seemed to flatline and she became...not as memorable.

The book started out with great promise.  As I updated on GoodReads, "Loving the third person style of the book so far ... and the whole second section is just dialogue, so fluid and easy to read!"  After four books of first-person journal-style writing, it was interesting to take a step back and see the characters narrated in third person.  By part two of the book, the entire thing is a dialogue, with no "he said, she replied, raising an eyebrow" extras added in.  It's hard to explain, but it just hit me halfway through the section: all they're doing is talking.  There's no narrator adding comments about Jessica shifting in her seat, or wrapping her hands around her mug.  Just speaking.  One voice to the next and back to the first.  Even though it sounds like it would be confusing to follow, it totally wasn't.  It just flowed, like I was sitting at the table with the two characters, listening to them speak.

And then... it just fell apart.  I suppose that's always one of the strengths of a series: when it can end with a bang, not a whimper.  And Jessica Darling, despite her snarky, laugh-out-loud funny journals that have charmed me in the past, left me disappointed at the end.  I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone, so let me leave it at this: WHY?  WHY did it end like THAT?

1 comments:

  1. Oooh! Amazing review.
    I'll be sure to check it out. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs