1/5/12

Divergent - Veronica Roth

I finished this book over the holidays, but couldn't quite bring myself to write a review until I'd had a few days to digest the story.  In a word: wow.  One of the most amazing things is that this is Roth's FIRST novel.  Her brilliance is going to just keep on shining her future books, and will probably grow brighter with time.

I have read that this book has been compared to the Hunger Games, but I wouldn't say so.  It takes place in a post-apocalyptic dystopian society, but that's where the similarities end.  Beatrice is 16, the age at which she must choose which faction she will devote the rest of her life to.  Each faction has a different value, from the selflessness of Abnegation to the honesty of Candor.  Raised in Abnegation, Beatrice has never quite felt that she has attained selflessness and wonders if she should choose another faction but this would mean leaving behind her family forever.

The story starts of slowly, explaining the details of Beatrice's world, but builds so gradually and steadily that I could barely tear myself away from the pages.  In this way, it was like the Hunger Games because I couldn't put the book down for a moment, and devoured the entire thing in a couple of days.

Such a good story, with endearing characters and a powerful story that grabs on to you and just won't let go.  If you are one of the few people who hasn't yet read this book, please DO!  Personally, I don't know how I'm going to wait for the sequel now!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this! Going to add it to my TBR pile... I really love dystopia books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divergent was one of my favourite books of 2011! Insurgent can't come fast enough <3 [Im]patiently waiting for Aussie ARCs to get here :P

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs