1/22/12

Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

It's hard to find the words to begin with this book.  So let's go back to the beginning...

When I was younger, I read a lot of fantasy.  Anything with a unicorn or a dragon on the cover was taken home from the library.  Sometimes my favourites were borrowed over and over and over again.  I loved Piers Anthony and I think I read every book he'd ever written.  The Xanth series will always hold a special place in my heart.

But then somewhere along the line, I lost the ability to comprehend fantasy.  The character names were confusing (seriously, you need at least ONE vowel in a name), I got lost in the descriptions of different beasts and far-off places.  I became one of those people who only read contemporary fiction.  Is this just part of growing up?

There's always been a part of me that has yearned for going back to those days of reading about far-off places, dragons, and adventure, but the fantasy genre is a tough one to break back into if you aren't sure where to begin.

Enter Daughter of Smoke & Bone.  I didn't know that this book was fantasy when I picked it up, but about 20 pages in I realized that it definitely wasn't just paranormal -- it was a little more fantastical than that.  Taylor's writing was so beautiful and poetic that the story just swept me along from chapter to chapter, and I found myself struggling to keep my eyes open at midnight, wanting to read just ONE more chapter before I succumbed to sleep.

I don't want to even talk about the plot at all (which is so touching and perfect and mysterious and perfectly paced) because I want each reader to discover it for herself.  I can't wait to see where the story goes in the next installment!

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm glad you liked this one. It was probably my fav book of the year. The characters and the story were so layered. I loved Karou's "family."

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs